huffy sprocket swap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i got my girl a huffy cranbrook cruiser... she's 5'2 at best and its a 26" wheel so obviously its too big for her. Unfortunately (fortunately?) she's rather attached to this bike and insists on riding it so being that its was a $50 find on craigslist i went to work with the welder this morning... seat post and tube chopped and lowered about 3", fabricated a new loop to the rear... but heres my question:

I want to swap the front sprocket from whatever is on there to something smaller so its easier for her to get moving. she hasnt ridden a bike since she was 5 and has a tough time getting going on this thing. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

try going up 1 or 2 teeth on the wheel sprocket first, its alot less work. say its a 18 tooth rear..try a 19 or 20 tooth sprocket on the wheel. you will have to add a little to your chain length,or use a brand new chain to custom fit it.

where can i find a new rear sprocket that will fit i guess is the question? just huffy bikes? or is it a standard size... ebay im guessing is the best?

You can get a smaller tooth front sprocket too. Even most kid bikes have sprockets that will work. Most cruisers come 46 to 42 teeth front. May want to try a 36 or 40. If the bike gets too low and the pedal drags on a turn... you can install a 24" bike crank. Most of them have a shorter throw. You can usually find the kid bikes at yard sales or thrift stores for a few bucks. Just count the teeth.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back