• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOUND Huret (Schwinn) shifter cable housing replacement.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a 1967 Schwinn Coppertone Deluxe Collegiate and can't seem to find any shifter cable housing to replace the rusty original. Does anyone know of a solution? Thanks in advance.

I'm working on a 1967 Schwinn Coppertone Deluxe Collegiate and can't seem to find any shifter cable housing to replace the rusty original. Does anyone know of a solution? Thanks in advance.
If you are still looking, I may have one. I've got a coppertone Breeze and a blue collegiate I stripped for parts this summer and pretty sure I still have the original cable and housing for it. I can look in the parts shed tomorrow afternoon and let you know for sure. it came off of this bike or a blue collegiate in the shed.
IMG_20231214_132041780.jpg

They measure approximately 10 5/8".....6"......4 1/4". Mine are 56 years old and very brittle. If the replacements measure longer that would be fine. Thank you!

Are you looking for original cables, or just something that will work? If you don't need original, you can order housing, cut it to length, and even add ferrules.
Where can I order it and what's it called? (These are smaller diameter than the brake cables.)

I restore a lot of bikes, so I buy in bulk off Ebay. I used 5mm housing for both brakes and shift cables. I use white because that's what non-Schwinn bikes used, but you can find it in all kinds of colors, including gray. Just search for 5mm bicycle brake cable housing.

Some bikes did use a 4mm housing. If you think that's what you need, you can certainly search for 4mm and find what you need. You can also search for the corresponding (5 or 4mm) housing ferrules. I gently use a cable cutter around the whole diameter to crimp them on.

I restore a lot of bikes, so I buy in bulk off Ebay. I used 5mm housing for both brakes and shift cables. I use white because that's what non-Schwinn bikes used, but you can find it in all kinds of colors, including gray. Just search for 5mm bicycle brake cable housing.

Some bikes did use a 4mm housing. If you think that's what you need, you can certainly search for 4mm and find what you need. You can also search for the corresponding (5 or 4mm) housing ferrules. I gently use a cable cutter around the whole diameter to crimp them on.
Thanks Crash for the info.

I would think if you went to local bike shop and see what they have, they also carry it in bulk, if you just need a piece..........Curt
My local shop only carries the brake cable housing. They have that in a bulk roll but not the older Schwinn style shifter housing. I took the advice CRASH gave me and ordered some 4mm housing off the web. Hopefully that will work. Thanks

Are either of these what your looking for? The silver one I just removed from a positron shifter and front derailer. The white one I think came off a 66 Ladies Breeze, but not 100% sure. I've been pulling everything out of my sheds to organize and have piles of housings, just unclear on which your looking for, and that's strictly because I'm relatively new to the world of Schwinn.

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_004744809.jpg
    IMG_20240424_004744809.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 0
Are either of these what your looking for? The silver one I just removed from a positron shifter and front derailer. The white one I think came off a 66 Ladies Breeze, but not 100% sure. I've been pulling everything out of my sheds to organize and have piles of housings, just unclear on which your looking for, and that's strictly because I'm relatively new to the world of Schwinn.
Good morning Ed. I have learned from other members that the shifter housing measures 4mm and the brake cables are 5mm. I ordered some from evilbay that work although not period correct for my 1967 Collegiate. Thanks for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.

Good morning Ed. I have learned from other members that the shifter housing measures 4mm and the brake cables are 5mm. I ordered some from evilbay that work although not period correct for my 1967 Collegiate. Thanks for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.
So you found some?

Latest posts

Back