i am picking up...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to grab me a Huffy Desperado in the morning. It seems to be in good shape and has a nice price tag on it, so it will be in my garage before about ten am. Can anyone tell me what the other Huffy western themed bikes were?

Here is a pair of pics.
IMAG0280_zps74a71f87.jpg
IMAG0281_zpsd1ddc635.jpg

What do you think?

Cool. I am not familiar with any other Western themed Huffys, but there may be some. Please show a pic of that logo on the banana seat when you can.

Here is that piece of art on the seat.
IMG_20130826_093829_074_zps8f52097d.jpg

I aired up the cracked, bald, old tires and rode it for a bit today. It handles completely differently than my 26" Ross Diamond Cruiser. I prefer how touchy this is to how heavy and clumsy the Ross is. Perhaps a 24" Eliminator or Muscle bike is for me. This will likely be my sons.

Not sure on huffys, but I have a columbia that resembles that bike. Same frame style, exact same color paint, and brown banana seat with a feather print on top of it, as well as apehanger bars.

I guess the obvious questions that I have now are: What kind of grease do you all run in your crank and head set bearings? What bikes and models are available in a 24" or larger muscle type bike with 'Nanner seat and what not? How do you all polish out surface rusting on chrome handlebars? Thanks for entertaining a new guy.

For surface rust on chrome I use chrome polish and 0000 steel wool (extra fine). Cleans it right up.

In 1978 I got a Huffy Wrangler for my birthday. I later heard that not many were ever made because of some legal wranglings with the jean company of the same name. I hit a growth spurt later that year amd out grew the 20" bike so swapped it to a smaller older cousin for a 26" Schwinn . He still has the bike as he never grew past 5'4" ,though it looks nothing like it did then .

I had a Huffy Santa Fe 10 speed in the early 80s in a similar color scheme.

DSCF1206.jpg

For Western-themed bikes, Huffy also had the Rawhide, and for the girls, the Desert Rose. I have a Coast King version of the Rawhide.

The Schwinn Manta Ray has 24" wheels, but they're hard to find. The Sears Spyder had a 24" version. I'm sure there are plenty others. Like onex29er's friend I can ride 20" muscle bikes no problem because I'm a shorty! It's too bad their bigger counterparts are few and far between!

Back