I bought one!- Yamaha Moto-bike build idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT- so I went out and bought a Yamaha Moto-bike. Scroll down to see.

All right experts. I recall seeing a straightbar bike that a lower straight bar that extended all the way back over the rear tire. Almost like a built in bike rack.

What am I thinking of?

It thought it was in the 'liner' family (Starliner spaceliner flightliner) but google suggested my memory was wrong.

Sort of like the yamaha moto-bike here. (But without the shocks.) I am thinking about a scaled up moto-bike build.
Yamaha_MotoBike_5.jpg

Re: What classic frame had a built in rack?

You guys are pretty amazing! Thanks CCR!

Hmmm I can see the first issue is that, stock, the firebolt rack is not wide enough behind the seat for the shock spacing unless I made the shocks vertical.

This is the motobike (Notice how it looks like a welded on sissybar!):
YamahaBefore9.jpg

But there would be fab work/welding anyway on the firebolt to make the swing arm and shock mounts, so stuff would have to be addressed no matter how you slice it. But at some point I could have done it with almost any straightbar just by welding on the bolt on rack that they often came with.

I have a line on a very affordable Moto-bike frameset. I wonder if I should use it as a small scale model, then sell it to buy the parts to make a 24-26" version?

Here is a bad photoshop of what I am after. I think the Moto-Bike is PERFECT for a Cafe! It would need very little modification. But I do wonder about the 20" scale for a 6-foot guy, with the seat so low.
Moto-BikeConcept.jpg

Re: What frame had a built in rack? Moto-bike build idea

you can find these at wal-mart, the rear rack extends/adjusts out the rear, not sure if its stiff enough as is for a suspension mounting though.

26500_Lg.png

I don't know if the racks on most frame are strong enough to support the weight, the tubing tends to be fairly thin. You could take a standard frame and modify it. The red parts would be removed, and the blue parts added.

frameh.png

frame2d.png

Very cool SSG. Yes I think that is just what I would have to do.

Looking around I see the Mead Ranger is a good starting point for a scaled up Yamaha Moto-bike.

It is straight bar first of all. (Including the downtube.) And also it seems to have the bend in the right spot for the top tube.
MeadRanger.jpg

Yamaha_MotoBike_5.jpg

Something like this?
MeadRangerMod.jpg

The overall look of a 50cc racer!
honda_cr110_racer_1962_lg.jpg

Honda_Dream_50R_2004_01_1024x768.jpg

I'm also thinking the rear drop outs would need a lot of work to be strong enough to support the shock mounts torque from a motor. Time to either scratch build or modify a more contemporary frame, wally world 29er or an old 10 speed frame would give you the same jumping off point as that Mead with beefier metal, add in a cheapo steel full suspension mountain bike for the bottom bracket pivot, moped or motorcycle shocks in the back.. IMHO

SSG said:
That looks awesome, although I couldn't bring myself to cut up a nice old frame like that.

I understand that sentiment SSG! I swear everytime I buy something old with the thoughts of taking a saws-all to it (be it a car or a bike) I never seem to be able to pull the trigger... literally. And I wind up doing cosmetic mods (Paint, seats, etc), but nothing that cant be put back to original.

Wow Kram I will write that guy! I've never seen that photo!

The more I think about the Moto-bike I have a lead on, the more I think about doing it to it, rather than fabbing and cutting something up. The moto-bike is a basket case and doesn't have all of its original parts (Which can be expensive!) so I wouldn't be tempted to restore it, and I should be mentally ok with taking it in a new direction. It would be a really easy build since there is no cutting (Though some reinforcing might be needed!), and if it is too small once finished I am sure there is someone out there who would buy if for their kid which would finance me building one on a grander scale.

The way I understand it, the moto-bike uses the same forks that came in some yamaha minibikes (GT80 I think) and the shocks are dead ringers for many that are used on mopeds. (This was a HEAVY bike at like 30lbs or something.)

Again, the big drawback is it is 20". But there are certainly 16" mopeds that are Cafe style, and full grown men ride them. (And I hear a 16" moped wheelset is about the same height as a 20" bmx wheelset.)
garelli-cafe_006.jpg

I really appreciate the input on this guys! Much better to speculate on a build before going out and buying a bunch of stuff that won't work!

Well I went out and bought a yamaha moto-bike today. It is a basket case with parts from two suspension Moto-bmx's. This is what I got.
IMG_5401.jpg

What a freakin beautiful frame the Yamaha moto-bike is.
IMG_5402.jpg

In this picture I threw on the spare Lester mags that came with it and the forks are from a different maker moto-bike. (Also I have an extra swingarm from that mystery bike.) Plopped on a banana seat in the cafe position I am thinking of. Great proportions!
IMG_5406.jpg

For fun I threw on a tank I also picked up from the seller. Almost looks like it was made for it. Can anyone ID it?
IMG_5407.jpg

This is where the disappointment sets in. I look like a freakin GIANT on this thing! If you look at my concept photo you can see what I I was after, and this bike has it all in just the right proportions, but for a kid. :(
IMG_5409.jpg

Moto-BikeBash2.jpg

So I am at a bit of a crossroads.

A. I can build this up like the concept, knowing it will be too small. But almost treat it like a scale model.
B. I can build it up as an actual moto-bike, ala restore it. My daughter miiiight ride it. But parts are tough to find and not cheap.
C. I can try to get out of it and put the money into a full scale, custom fabbed Moto-bike.

My daughter looks great on it though!
IMG_5415.jpg

Another shot of the tank for anyone who can ID it!
IMG_5408.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
I know it sounds nuts but I say chop, cut, rebuild. :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: oh you did not just go there ! COO COO COO COO

outskirtscustoms said:

You mean like, chop up this frame and extend everything? Oooo wouldn't the BMX gods love that one!

But my guess it that by the time I did all of that I could have modded a bent top bar frame from something else that was already 26".

Fun to think about though!

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
outskirtscustoms said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: oh you did not just go there ! COO COO COO COO
Oh, I just did go there, and it was AWESOME! Seriously though, Yes it sounds like sacrilege to cut it up but it would be so worth it. A 24 or 26 inch Yamaha Moto-bike.......Or a little more modding and 24 x 3's. :mrgreen:

Well I didn't realize how straight forward stretching a straightbar frame like the Moto-bike could be in theory. I've never chopped before.

Thanks for suggesting this path outskirtscustoms! I never even thought about it!

I did a little photochopping, and made sure it was to scale with some Nirve 24X3 meats. Nothing had to be bent, just extended all the angles. I would need to buy longer shocks though. (These are only like 10"!)

I am a psyched dude again! If I don't keep it stock, I think chopping this frame is the way to go. Purists may hate me for it, but then again, at least stage 1 of this build is to make a scaled up Motobike, I will paint it to look just like a orange one and I already have the decals for the top tube. And isn't it cool that the DNA is all still there!

Also this is a basket case, missing tons of stuff. Not sure I would do it to a complete one.

So my theory is to cut it, slip some seat post tube into the gap and slide it around till the proportions work. Then I can cut down that seat tubing as inner sleeves for the welding of the correct tubing. Sound like a plan?

When I get the sawsall out I will start a proper project thread. The ORANGE is where it is extended.
Motochop.jpg

See, what'd I tell you....The rendering looks GREAT. I'd say purists might hate you at first, but if you can pull off the stretch and keep the original look, I think they will all be jealous. :mrgreen:

You may have to bend a few slightly to get everything to line up perfect but not enough to really notice it.

There are plenty of 26" bikes out there to modify, cut and hack, how many Yami motobikes are there? (and I dont even like bmx stuff)

I think it's time to go big, look on the bright side, bigger frame = bigger motor :D

Back