I called myself a bicycle mechanic the other day...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Am I allowed to do that?

I know there are lots of people who know how to work on bicycles and even build them, but when are you allowed to call yourself a bicycle mechanic?

I'm sure there are some working bicycle mechanics out there who are reading this and taking it as an insult and are thinking "This clown doesn't have a CLUE about what I do."

I've got bicycle tools, I can fix bikes, build bikes, modify bikes, ride bikes, etc...

I fix bicycles for people all over town since we don't have a LBS anymore.

Am I allowed to call myself a bicycle mechanic?

When people ask me if I work on bikes I just tell them I like to play with them. I laced a wheel at my lbs once while he took a phone call and he acted surprised. He said "I didn't know you could lace a wheel" ... I've been buying spokes off the guy for years too :lol:

LIAR!!

As the self appointed head of the USBMA, demand that you cease and desist from such language!! If said language continues I will be forced to take legal action.

(disclaimer: I do not know if the United States Bicycle Mechanics Association actually exists. If it does, I am neither it's head nor a bicycle mechanic. the above statement was written in humor and is in no way meant to insult the USBMA, if it exists, or the original poster)

I "work on bikes" but have been referred by others as a mechanic through my volunteer work at the local coop.

thatismytruck said:
As the self appointed head of the USBMA, demand that you cease and desist from such language!! If said language continues I will be forced to take legal action.

Pretty sure the USBMA is out of commission right now with the government shut down.

I don't go tossing it around all the time, but sometimes that term works nicely to put some importance on what you might be telling someone, like if you see something wrong with a bike that should be fixed for safety reasons I have told someone "You might want to flip that fork around the other way for proper handling, just loosen this bolt, spin around and tighten it back up, I'm a bicycle mechanic." haha

I just want to know when I can officially step up from the guy who likes to mess with bikes to a bicycle mechanic.

Think of it the same way your would a car mechanic. I know people that completely break down a car and rebuild it, but they would not call themselves a car mechanic unless they actually worked at a repair shop.

I used to wrench at a small shop when I was in college, though I have had no formal training. Given access to the right tools, I can do anything short of frame repair and shock rebuilds. The latter I would try if the opportunity arose. The shop where I worked would send forks and shocks in for service. I hesitate to call myself a bike mechanic, though I have. I usually say I used to sork at a bike shop. Most of my neighbors know I fix bikes up and bring me stuff when it needs work.

I just say I have worked on bikes for 20+ years. That is the truth and gets just the same if not more respect than "I'm a bicycle mechanic".

This is America, it's your right as a free American to call yourself whatever you like.

CeeBee said:
chepe13 said:
This is America, it's your right as a free American to call yourself whatever you like.

Try calling yourself a doctor, lawyer, police officer, airline pilot, college proffessor, etc. and see how that works out for you..... :?
Just flash that Detective's badge and say "Its OK, this is America." :shock:

I've done all those things.

Back