I can't live without this tool! (your input needed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As you fix, build, assemble, and disassemble bicycles, what tool could you not do without. Yeah, I know this is a hard question, so I'll let you give 2 answers.

#1- Basic tool

#2- Specialty Bike tool

Now, I'm not saying you are limiting yourself to 1 tool, but which one seems to always be in your hand?

Try to answer without a bunch of doubletalk and naming multiple tools per category.

For me:

#1- adjustable wrench

#2- chain tool

I have close second place tools, but to keep from breaking my own rule, I won't mention them... here.

gowjobs said:
OH yeah! I was using a bike stand just yesterday while I was replacing the lower radiator hose on my Mercury! Since when is a bike stand NOT a specialty tool? :D :D :wink:

Haha, I was thinking, you were saying. haha

Well, the one I can think of is the topeak alien II, that thing has almost everything you need. But I suppose my second tool would have to be a 30mm wrench to take apart headsets and bottom brackets

my "impact wrench' - (brass hammer - it fits all of my wrenches, US and metric).

1) My vice-grips. Most essential tool in any toolbox.

2)My chainbreaker of unknown pre-1990's Asian origin. It has slots for all chain sizes from tiny Shimano style index chains up to humongous Harley motorcycle chain. I even used it to break a power take-off chain for my wood chipper.

#1- cell phone. the camera is invalueable with my memory, also the notes thing it has.
#2- 3rd hand tool. even though i dont have one yet, i cant think of a more useful bike tool.
sorry, i rambled on a little bit. :wink:

My spoke wrench and Park chain tool are my favorites.

I'm glad many of you are saying bike stand. After selling hundreds of bikes, I finally purchased one yesterday (should have been awhile ago though). Can't wait to get my Park PCS-09 in the mail!!!

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:
1. Adjustable wrench
2. Allen wrenches

#2 is not bike specific/specialty tool. So now, pick between the 2 for your #1 and think up something new for #2.

To me that is specialty, I still use screwdrivers to take chains apart...lol.
ok specialty would be my crank arm puller, home-made of coarse.

KJV said:
thats his "input" :arrow:
"your" thread titles ,reads;
[your input needed]. :roll:
let his input be "his". :mrgreen:

I'm just helping, I was actually giving him a second chance, like I gave you.

i would love to have one of those Schwinn kick stand removers ! anybody know where i can get one ????

Back