I can't put my front hub together??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well....I took out the front hub on my Columbia build off bike and now I can't get it back together properly :? I did it before and got it, but now I'm stuck. It's either to loose (axle slides) or to tight (axle doesn't move) Then when I think I have it it loosens up :roll: I tried watching videos, but they all have some fancy thing for roadies :| I don't have a pic of the hub, but it's just and ordinary New Departure :wink:

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Are you having the problem when you mount it in the fork or is it off the bike?
Sometimes I find that I will get the hub right where I want it but then when I mount it, it tights up to much.
If it happens I will back off the axle nut just a touch then when I mount it, it tights up right to where I want it.
Maybe this will help :?:

are you getting your lock nuts locked down ? if not, tightening the left side axle nut can spin the axle and loosen the right side cone nuts, it will tighten up the right side cone nuts if you spinning the axle tightening the right side though.

Ya know...I'm not really sure what I'm doing :? When I tighten them they lock up, and then when I loosen a bit, it's too loose :roll: The wheel is OFF the bike :wink:

Usually I just mess around with it until it works, but it doesn't seem to happen with this one :|

I was just looking at this pic and noticed something :shock: I'm missing the lock down nuts!! :roll: Man do I feel like an idiot :oops:
Part 6
hubdiagram.png

Well, if it was an older Brit bike there arent lock nuts, the right side one is 'fixed' and the adjustable one goes on the left and you fine tune between it and the axle nut tension to get the bearings right; and they consider that 'normal' (BTW, it does work pretty good, just different than typical American hubs).
Bet ya got it just right by now; dont feel bad, we all have moments, just more of them for some of us.......... :wink:

Latest posts

Back