I.D. my find...ID'ed as a Galaxy Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info appreciated. Sorry for so many pics. I thought the more the better.
Also, is my fork missing a crown or something?
5f335367.jpg

05fd8760.jpg

283c6155.jpg

72251590.jpg

2eb7db81.jpg

e7619731.jpg

c47b040d.jpg

017a72bc.jpg

987ddfc2.jpg

a001b037.jpg

Re: I.D. my find

Sprocket is AMF/Roadmaster, but I'm not sure the frame is. Looks like a mutt to me. Obviously the seat and sissy bar are incorrect, as well as the fenders (front is on backwards). Yes your fork should have a chrome crown on it.

Cool frame to start with, twin tubes are always cool

ratina said:
You got a great deal in my book, what are you going to do with it?

I'll probably just ride it! I didn't even have to clean it! What you see in the pics is how I got it. I'll probably steal the fork cap crown from another bike I have. Oh and flip the front fender around the right way!

I've seen them before, but I don't remember the make. That frame was undoubtedly made in the U.S., probably in the early to mid 60's. It's not likely to have come with a Histop hub, probably had a plain Bendix, the fenders are standard fare aftermarket items, and the upper and lower head bearing races are completely mis-matched. Check to see if they fit together without much play, without being overly tight, when you cap the fork. For $20.oo it's a BARGAIN. A newer, cheaper coaster wheel costs more than that, without so much as a rim strip. :wink:

Western Flyer was the house brand for the Western Auto stores. They had their bikes built by a variety of the big name manufacturers (Murray, AMF, Huffman, Snyder) depending on the era. Most of the WF frames also had siblings that wore other badges. I have a pair of WF Galaxy Flyers 20" girls bikes from the late 60s or early 70s. One is Murray built and the other is AMF built. I am thinking yours is an AMF built model. Yours does not have the tell-tale Murray drop-outs on the rear, but they do look AMFish. AMF bikes had peaked fenders, if you look at the seat stay bridge you will probably see where the round Wald fenders do not match up to the notch in the bridge. To the best of my knowledge Roadmaster (later became AMF) were the only company to use the peaked fenders on their bikes. Hope this helps.

There is a notch in the bridge, so AMF it is! Is AMF frame better than the Murray? Now to find another fork crown, as the one I thought fit - doesn't! Anyone know where I can get one? or do I just need to find a donor fork? or maybe a springer!

I don't know if AMF is better or worse than Murray. Both built good bikes. It is like everything else, you will have those die hards for both sides. But in my opinion both built some cool bikes back in the day. I have had several of both and have no complaints against either.

You might try to find a set of peaked fenders if you want to. The misfitting notch is always a pet peeve of mine on my own bikes.

Build it to your liking and ride it to your heart's content.

AMF bikes had peaked fenders, if you look at the seat stay bridge you will probably see where the round Wald fenders do not match up to the notch in the bridge. To the best of my knowledge Roadmaster (later became AMF) were the only company to use the peaked fenders on their bikes.
As far as middleweight era bikes, yes. Though some Columbias had an extra ridge stamped into the center of their fenders. Prewars are another story, almost all companies offered "gothic" fenders in the late 30s-early 40s. -Adam

My AMF Roadmaster has the same dropouts, and it's late 50's/early 60's. Same peaked fender brackets too. Different sprocket though, yours looks like the mid sixties AMF style. Your fork crown looks just mine also, minus the chrome cap.

Definitely a nice bike.

I have since swapped the seat/sissy and grips out. They have been sitting in the garage for some time now unused. What is a fair price to sell the seat/sissy and grips for?

fastmunny said:
I have since swapped the seat/sissy and grips out. They have been sitting in the garage for some time now unused. What is a fair price to sell the seat/sissy and grips for?
$25 for the lot is reasonable :wink:

Back