I GOT THE 19? JC HIGGINS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I went to look at what was told to me to be a 1942 JC Higgins. I could not pass it up for fifty bucks ( I have paid more for beach cruisers that I sell )
I am new to vintage bikes and try to do research but I am a rookie at 51. The only # I could find under the crank look to be a small 219 and a big 70868
any help is greatly appreciated. I know the neck, bars, and seat are not original. What exactly do i have and is it worth the money? I love the look of it but am not sure wether to restore or rat it any suggestions?

Re: I GOT THE 1942 JC HIGGINS

I don't think it is '42, more like '49.

I figured he was off a little but I do not know these things yet so I come here for help

Pedals are later too. All else looks good. Is there a letter on the bottom?

Well it's Murray built for sure ( "fisted" seat tube & chainwheel). Not sure on year...can't find my Murray book right now. Cool ride ,not uncommon at all but there are a heap of parts out there for these bikes including tanks & a multitude of various chain guards,racks & front ends. You could turn it into a Higgins "header" bike...perfect bike for a first build,though,rat,custom or restore. Excellent buy at $50.
Good Luck with your build...let us know if we (RatRod members) can help...Pappy 8)
found my Murray book....if you look above the first 8 in the serial # I can see an M...if you sand there a little more you should reveal an O then a third letter. If its a 1942 the third letter will be a G. The M O stands for Murray Ohio then the third letter denotes the year then of course the serial number...hope this helps...P 8)

Its a post war bike, probably 48-49. The JC Higgins name was not used until after WWII, prior to the war Sears bikes were branded as Elgin.
-Brian

For $50 you did fine! Has a nice look to it and it's a pre-1950 men's frame, That's worth $50 all day every day. AND it's a Skip-tooth! Lets just say you did GOOD!

OK I did a little more paint removal and this is what I found. Can we get a year from this? I was also looking on ebay and if what I saw was correct the neck and handlebars are the correct ones.

dougfisk said:
The current dogma holds that the letter M designates 1948.

According to my book M-O-M would be 1948...however M-O-S makes it a 1953 putting it right at the end of the skip-tooth era..I'm not sure what the other M signifies as my book does not say. I have a unmolested 1953 Schwinn DX that is a factory skip-tooth. The story is that around this time the various bike manufacturers were using up their old skip-tooth parts til they where gone then started building everything with 1/2" pitch sprockets & chain. I'm not sure when Murray started building the "fisted" seat tube frame but a little research on this may tell exactly what year it is but in my humble opinion its a '53...Pappy 8)

I'm starting to feel a little like Johnny Cash IT'S A 42, 48, 53 but hey it's a skip tooth JC Higgins what the heck do I care I'm so Happy just to own it,
Now I have to let the creative side come out and figure out which direction I want to go with it Restore or Rat this is now the burning question.
I am open to any and all helpful ideas.

For whatever it is worth... if you care...

I'm sticking with '48. In this case I think the "S" means Sears and the "M" is the sequence or "year" indicator. I have the "book" also, but it was written for Western Flyer dealers and applies more literally to WF's. Sears (Higgins) stampings are often much more detailed. The rack and fender braces would be right for a '48 and wrong for a '53.

Latest posts

Back