I had a truck to use, so I made the most of it....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This was an Epic day, for me at least..
It starts off with me borrowing a friends pick up to go out to Apache Junction to pick up a bike. That's about a 35 mile drive from where I live. Unfortunately even though I'd talked to the guy about 4 times and he Swore he'd hold it, he never answered his phone and it was all for not. Here is the bike, and for some of you who have seen me rant about Phoenix bike prices this was a steal at $150.00, but I guess someone needed it more than me...

3Ed3Le3Jc5N45L75E7d36641066fd9aca17f1_zps02f51d30.jpg

I was bummed.... but since I had a truck I had back ups planned.
I drove 15 miles back near to town and met up with a guy who has two storage rooms full of bikes and parts. Mostly pre-war skiptooth, which I'm hesitant to get into due to prices and I have enough on my plate. Sorry for all of you this guy Only sells local, he wants to keep all the bikes and parts here in town because Phoenix is pretty lame.
Great guy tho, and I was able to pick up one of my dreams.. a Spaceliner (which I need like another hole in my head) but this one has the original tank on it ...

PICT4896_zps82bf623c.jpg

PICT4898_zpsa6ef7f78.jpg

PICT4901_zps70e438c7.jpg

PICT4902_zpsb5e6d6da.jpg

PICT4903_zps91c61919.jpg

PICT4904_zps5e35665a.jpg

PICT4905_zpsc32316c5.jpg

As you can see it's Rough. It was completely rattle bombed from head to toe, including the rims, and not a good painting job at that. There is a crack in the tank and is missing the light switch, and the seat is a total re-do job. On the positive, the rest of the tank is metal, has the lenses in it and the pedals are straight and have all the OG jewels in them. I'm gonna completely strip this down and repaint it and fix the tank up making it LED, while hopefully making the horn inside work as well.

In the package deal for the bike I found a period correct chainguard and rack that he threw in on the deal, along with an older rack that I thought was cool and had potential....

PICT4930_zpsb1c5e127.jpg

Looking through his parts I picked out a couple things I'll maybe use on this years RRBBO bike. These were Not Cheap, but he gave me a Good price in Phoenix terms....

PICT4931_zpse31e9938.jpg

PICT4932_zps918c3976.jpg

PICT4933_zpsa326a3fc.jpg

The seat is All original and has pretty much No Rust anywhere.....
After looking through his storage rooms and talking and making deals, he was kind enough to invite me back to his house to see more of his collection of bikes and parts. That's when I got this.....

PICT4934_zpsfca3254d.jpg

You'll have a hard time finding this off a bike around here, and he sold it for 2/3 of what he usually gets for it because we were getting along so well. Definitely a guy I'll be dealing with in the future, maybe even doing some trading and stuff.

Since I don't own a car and had use of the tuck for another 3 hours ( I wasted 3 hours on the bike I never got....) I'd made other CL set ups All the way on the other side of town which I never get to.
I stopped and picked up these apehangers which had been posted almost daily for $25.00 for the last two or more months. The picture of them had no scale, so I thought they were regular "Stingray" sized but to my pleasurable surprise they were "Super Sized" and she took $20.00 for them, including the great adjustable handle bar post....

PICT4935_zps4ea819ba.jpg

PICT4936_zps6fad71fe.jpg

Back onto the freeway I made my last stop for a Schwinn Exerciser that a guy had been posting for three months or more. He'd started off at $50.00, then dropped it to $40.00, finally dropping it again to $25.00. He took $20.00 for it....

PICT4894_zpsf4168d54.jpg

I pf course got it for the crank handle bars, and seat. I'll part out the rest (speedo etc) eventually. When I got it home a friend saw it and told me about a person they know who have one sitting in their backyard that I'll probably get for free.... yeah.

So all in all it was a good day. I kept a trip log and drove 130 miles for the day. An in city purposeful road trip....

MySaturdaytrip_zps50451a43.jpg

I posted another thread of bikes I've been picking up since November till now. Here are some pics of all of them in my carport, ( Now I need to put them all away before I get ready for work.. Ha).

PICT4925_zpsa900c57a.jpg

PICT4923_zps01af388d.jpg

Have a great day everyone, thanks for looking...

NIce finds - glad yourday turned around.

Nice price on the exercisor,too - some good pcs on those.

nice collection, too - love the Columbia Gazzelle, even though a girls, looks real clean .

congrats.

Back