I know...I know...It's just a Huffy...?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huffy.

A company that started off making sewing machines became a bike manufacture in 1970. Now-a-days when you think Huffy, you think about those cheep Wal-Mart bikes you get for your 13 year old son. Three years after becoming a corporation Huffy came up with the Scout. It was a kind of trend setter for bike in the 70's, and it was a bestseller.

Today was garage sell day, a day that the entire neighborhood has garage sells at the same time. My Mom, our Neighbor, and Stewie our families American Pit-Bull Terrier went for a walk around the Hood. About an hour later we walk up to a house, and a man had a couple of bike out for free. I took one look and this old bike and said to myself "It's a old Huffy, but I don't care because the only other bike that I've owned is ruined and I need a bike!" I give it a better look and I discover that it's a Scout II. I got it home, and started doing research and I ran into a problem. The problem? There is absolutely NO information on the net about this model! My Dad is a bike nut, works at montgomery cyclery in Ohio, and says it's probably a mid-70's bike. I trust him, but I want to now why I can't find anything on it, why isn't there any information on it, why is there only 2 or three pictures of it online, and what year is darn thing?!? Is this just a piece of junk or is it a piece of history? either way it's going to get fixed up but I'd like to know the facts and your opinion!

So Please Leave a Comment! :D

"I know...I know...It's just a Huffy."
Here in the Miami Valley region...
HUFFMAN ,HUFFY cycles rule.

"A company that started off making sewing machines became a bike manufacture in 1970. "
Built their first cycle in 1892.

I grew up on a Huffy in the 60s, good solid bikes for the most part and indeed their history dates to
the late 1890s as the Huffman corporation...one of the bikes I used for my paper route was a scout and
it served me well !
Mark

Well, if you want to get technical about it... It was the Davis Sewing Co. that started out, and I believe either merged or was bought out by the Huffman faminly in the 30s. The actual Huffy badge didn't come about until the 50s. Sometimes I hate being THAT guy who knows everything :roll: , but I feel compelled to offer information that's more accurate. And help my RRB (and Cabe) brethren where and sometimes when these old bikes came from! :mrgreen: -Adam

These are "only" Huffys.....and they're mine, and I like them, and whats great about this site/ forum is thats all that matters and should to you as well. The silver diamond frame bike with flat bars is also a Huffy Scout. I retreived it from a garbage pile and changed it over to 27" wheels from 26 x 2.125. I ride all of these and enjoy them all. Huffys are not "boutique" bikes, but I know there is a bunch of Huffy fans on this site. All but the first two bikes are made in the USA and I can't kill 'em no matter how hard I ride 'em. My two favorites are the last two, and I am proud to retain the Huffy name on both.

PA170017.jpg

HuffyRatBob.jpg

100_1511.jpg

P1310008.jpg

100_1143.jpg

100_1261.jpg

Rail1.jpg

I love Huffy's. Have 3 in the garage myself. Then again I love anything that stuck up people turn their nose up at. I was just out on my Huffy Big Daddy last weekend and got more comments then I get on any of my other bikes.

There is nothing wrong with having a huffy. I ride the heck out of mine. The only Huffy thing about it is the frame though.. haha.
P1070233.jpg

You all have BLOWN MY MIND! Wow! Had no idea about any of this!

But as for the serial number it's 81287H0FFY K6627

Now this isn't a picture of my bike I found this one on the internet but it is the same bike minus the kick stand part minus the nice condition:
100_0684.jpg

Can any of you guys tell me what this bikes about?

for a history lesson.1892 Davis Sewing Machine Company
big wig:George P. Huffman overseen the manufacturing of the first Davis Sewing Machine Company bicycle in Dayton, Ohio. first badged ,Dayton. 2. Huffman.
3. Huffy ; in the 50's , jr. took over,
he had been called Huffy his entire life.

visit one of my favorite riding districts; http://www.huffmanhistoric.org/

oh yeah. your cycle seems to be a 1968.

If it's a 68, it's not stock. The mtb stuff didn't come out 'til early 80's. :| In the 60's all their diamond frame bikes had narrow rim (1 3/8" or 1 1/4" tire) wheels

deorman said:
If it's a 68, it's not stock. The mtb stuff didn't come out 'til early 80's. :| In the 60's all their diamond frame bikes had narrow rim (1 3/8" or 1 1/4" tire) wheels
So do you know if it's a good bike?

Good enough for short commutes and recreational use. Probably between $139.00 - $189.00 brand new. Not worth much money-wise, maybe $50-$75 for one as good as in the pick, but definitely not trash. Heck, all but one of my bikes are "junk". :wink: Custom fit, finely tuned, pick of the litter, junk. :mrgreen:

deorman said:
Good enough for short commutes and recreational use. Probably between $139.00 - $189.00 brand new. Not worth much money-wise, maybe $50-$75 for one as good as in the pick, but definitely not trash. Heck, all but one of my bikes are "junk". :wink: Custom fit, finely tuned, pick of the litter, junk. :mrgreen:
Thanks dude! I can't wait to get it fixed up and riding!

ThriftyBusiness said:
You all have BLOWN MY MIND! Wow! Had no idea about any of this!

But as for the serial number it's 81287H0FFY K6627

Now this isn't a picture of my bike I found this one on the internet but it is the same bike minus the kick stand part minus the nice condition:
100_0684.jpg

Can any of you guys tell me what this bikes about?

This looks EXACTLY like my early 80's Huffy Scout! I put that bike through living heck and it kept on trucking! I jumped it off of a roof, off of a cliff into a river, put thousands of miles on it, and even was in a down hill race with it against much more expensive mountain bikes, and the only thing I ever had to do was get some better rims on it from the abuse. I no longer have it but the parts are all over my garage! Wish I had it again though, would be fun to get back on one more time! Mine was blue though, would much rather have the red one! :)

Buck Masterson said:
This looks EXACTLY like my early 80's Huffy Scout! I put that bike through living h*** and it kept on trucking! I jumped it off of a roof, off of a cliff into a river, put thousands of miles on it, and even was in a down hill race with it against much more expensive mountain bikes, and the only thing I ever had to do was get some better rims on it from the abuse. I no longer have it but the parts are all over my garage! Wish I had it again though, would be fun to get back on one more time! Mine was blue though, would much rather have the red one! :)
This is the kind of comment that makes me want to get this bike back into shape! My dad works at a bike shop, I told him to get me stuff when he goes into work tomorrow.

Any snob that dares to put down my HUFFY better be able to back up those words.

Back