I long for the old days. (Kind of a rant)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the 50's or 60's, but the late 70's and 80's. My rent was $250.00 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath house. It had a covered car port, and a big enclosed shed for storage and tools. I could do anything I wanted there, and it was in California, great weather. Only bills where electric, about $40.00, and a land line telephone, about $20.00. No cable, no cell phone, no credit cards. Gas was less than a $1.00 a gallon. I didn't need to make much money, and did it buy buying and selling old VW's, and other assorted cars. Life was good. Now don't get me wrong, life is still good, but it takes a lot more to make it.
People aren't as trust worthy either. When I say I'm going to do something, I do it, not most people now days. When I was young, I've sat at home with a plate of plain spaghetti noodles, because rent was due, and I didn't have the money to go out. I've never been late, or not paid my bills.
Now the reason for the rant,
I have a rental house on my land, that's rented to a coworker. Not the best move, but it's worked out, until now. He shorted me on the rent. He had some dental work that cost him, no insurance. That I can understand, and would have worked with the guy, If he had said something, but he just hands me a check for part of the money, two days late, and says, "I'll try to have the rest next week". Now the guy is never without cigarettes, and is at the bar every night, including tonight. Can't pay me, but can sit at the bar for four hours, and come home stinking drunk. Fortunately he only drives 3 miles on a country road, I pray he doesn't kill someone. Really ticks me off.
I knew being a land lord wasn't going to be all fun and games, but never expected it to be so bad. I supply a nice remodeled, two bedroom, one bath house in the country, on one acre. Overlooks a pond. It's quiet. In the eight years I've had it, I've had over ten different renters, probably more. Everyone has looked me in the eyes and flat lied to me. Every one of them. Some I've thrown out, some have left in the middle of the night, some have just left. They said "sue me, you won't get anything". Only one or two have cleaned it up, I guess that's my job. Truck loads of junk left behind. I want to burn it down, and might if I have to throw this guy out. Hopefully he comes through with the rest of the money, and doesn't fall even farther behind.
Ok, that's my rant.
Thanks for listening, Dean

Maybe you should post here to find a new renter, If I was in the area and was looking for a place the biggest worry would be bike parts in the living room. :mrgreen: Hope your luck changes.

I've been a renter for years, it wasn't a good idea to buy a house and sell it every few years when I transferred while in the military. Most people who rent have no respect for the property, they trash it and try to get over anyway they can. Only a handful, like my family, actually kept it up like it was ours. Most times the landlord would be surprised when we moved out, and had to figure how to return our security deposit.

That may be the reason, if they didn't earn it, they don't know how to respect it.

If you don't need that rent as income. I wouldn't rent it out. My brother rented his house in SC to a military family for a year thinking they would be good tenants, but he had to redo the whole place after they trashed it to the tune of 5 grand.

Back