I need alot of help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to all this stuff and thought it would be a good hobby to get into. Recently, i picked up an old schwinn for $10. I dont really know exactly what it is but the serial number is ET509300. I do know that it is missing a rear hub, front axle, and a seat and seat post. In having a lot of trouble trying to find all this stuff since i dont exactly what all of it is. Ive seen some really cool bikes on here and with some of your help maybe i can build mine.

Here is everything i got,
002-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

try finding a scrap rear wheel somewhere .. matching size, you could take it apart if it has a hub clean it off re grease and put it in the new wheel. .. seat post shouldnt be to hard to find, they are mostly one size fits all? unless its high end mtbike? .. not to sure about that but Im taking a shot at trying to help you :D ..

axle you could take out of another same size tire .. and reinstall in the front of the new one.

Pre-chinese Schwinns and some other older bikes use a 13/16" seatpost. Available, but you may have to shop around to find a shop that has one. If it's a later reproduction, it might be a 7/8". If the hub has a smooth braking surface, the guts from most any modern cheap coaster bike should fit. If it has three grooves, then you have a little work to figure whether it's a Bendix, New Departure, or some other brand, they can be hard to find, but it is often printed on the hub. Since the wide flange front wheel isn't original, your best bet may be a cheap K-Mart or craig'slist donor bike to strip for parts, or just buy a new Hystop rear wheel, probably $40.oo or so. Check the "Swap meet" forum.

p.s. Pawel, while a lot of bikes in the same style/price category will have the same size, the last time I counted. there were at least a dozen :shock: sizes of seat post in use from the various manufacturers.

Welcome.

I can't see any photos here at work, but your serial suggests May 1982.

deorman said:
p.s. Pawel, while a lot of bikes in the same style/price category will have the same size, the last time I counted. there were at least a dozen :shock: sizes of seat post in use from the various manufacturers.

your a better man then I am then because I was just guessing :D

what you need is a donor bike...look around at local thrift stores, goodwills, dumps, yardsales, and find a bike that has all or some of the parts you need. then talk them down to the lowest price and there you go...parts! then when you find everything you need for this bike you can start building another out of all the extras you have left...and the cycle begins...

If that is a repop frame you could have fooled me. It looks like an original Corvette clip frame...but...the fork isn't drilled and the fork darts don't match the script Schwinn logo on the top bar. Those chicoms with their pointy little fingers can copy about anything. :( You need a donor bike for sure. Gary

the bike was a chicago schwinn for sure. the serial # is under the headbage.
also can anybody help me identify this other bike im thinking about buying. Can anybody tell me if this bike has ballon tires?
1251348687_l.jpg

Back