I need help identifying what I have

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,
I started collecting parts a couple of years ago for a Schwinn project bike. I lost momentum at the time but I feel the desire to start in to it again. I bought what I thought was a Schwinn '58 or so 26" frame. It has the brackets for a tank. The S/N is located on the rear drop left side. The S/N is DF33454. I was told recently that this S/N and location is actually from a 1970 Schwinn and not from a late'50s. I want to start putting this back together but I would like some clarification on what this frame might actually be. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The list of numbers as stated above puts it at March of 1970, after the serials all moved to the head tube. But it says 1970 models had the serial number on the head tube, unless your early 1970 was one of the last ones stamped on the dropout. There weren't any 2 letter serial numbers in 1958. There were 8F early in 58 and then a letter followed by numbers, 2 letters at the beginning wasn't used until 1970, according to the list.

The Panther in 70 came with a tank. The cantilever frames didn't have much difference between 58 and 70, classic Schwinn design. Did you get the chain ring with it? The original for a 70 Panther will be the mag sprocket, and a 58 probably had a 4 leaf clover chain ring.
If it is a straight bar frame, then it's a 50's bike.

So, either way, it's a good frame to start with.

Back