i need to shortn my steer tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know thwere r prob many ways to shorting a steer tube i have a girls bike monark springer im trying to use on a schwinn i need to shortn it up im sure this has been asked many of times i need a lil help guys can you hook a brotha up thank you for your time :)

Does the new fork have enough thread length to do this? Do you need to thread it down further before cutting? Cutting it is not rocket science, hack saw and file. Avoid excess spacers on threaded forks.

LBS added threads to mine for $5! Then I cut off the excess. Done!

My LBS did one for me. I took them the frame fork, and headset. They installed the bearing cups in the frame, extended the threads on the fork, installed the forks and headset except for the top nut, measured, then cut the fork tube down, Well worth the $15!!
Below is a before and after shot. The blue forks on the right were cut down to fit an old Columbia frame. Both forks in the pic are Murray, a 26 on the left, and a 24 on the right. Both had the same tube length before the 24 was cut.

columbia24004.jpg

Nice job and cheap too. Did he extend the groove on the back side for the lockwasher or was it cut long enough from the factory. I found one I redid had a slot that wouldn't take the cutting back and rethreading without deforming it so I had to hack it off and weld it back.

Graylock

I thread my own with fork dies that I found in my LBS trash can in 1974. Some years later I had them re-sharpened and they have served me well since.

c.p.odom said:
I thread my own with fork dies that I found in my LBS trash can in 1974. Some years later I had them re-sharpened and they have served me well since.
that die is like gold there very proud of them $$$$$$$$$$$

Graylock said:
Nice job and cheap too. Did he extend the groove on the back side for the lockwasher or was it cut long enough from the factory. I found one I redid had a slot that wouldn't take the cutting back and rethreading without deforming it so I had to hack it off and weld it back.

Graylock

Luckily,the slot was long enough from the factory.

Latest posts

Back