I picked a scrapper!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My family and I were doing our Saturday morning yard sale route when I saw something catch my eye that made me say "HOLY COW!" and flip the quickest sharpest U turn ever. It was a scrapper that had a parked trailer load of bicycles, with some washers and dryers bookending the pile. I get out and start peering through the tangled mess of bikes. The owner comes out and I start chatting him up. Although most were Walmart level kids bikes, I spotted a few bikes that were interesting. We Jengad them free from the mess and I paid him. Notice: I am now making 'Jenga' a verb.

I got a rusty Mongoose Ultra Fuzz, Toy R Us year 2000 vintage, like this:
398403_236483816422778_636242406_n.jpg

The rear disc brake assembly and wheelset is interesting, but I'll probably trade it off for something else. The fork I plan to use on a vintage 20" frame project.

A Mongoose IBOC Pro, like this one:
130mongoose-iboc-series-pro_21975256.jpg

I didn't even notice it was a mongoose, I just saw a Shimano biopace chainring in the pile, and figured the bike must be decent. This was a bike shop model of mongoose from the 90s. Just needed a seat and seat post.

Also got a rusty 80's Huffy Mt. Havoc like this: the fork looks like the first shock fork ever conceived by man:
men_s_26_huffy_mountain_bike_for_45_19181542.jpg

and a ladies Huffy Mt Echo.. also from early 80s (last of the US built Huffy)

Then on the way home, a yard sale in my neighborhood had a faded one of these West coast limited choppers:
pbr0.jpg

I bought the bike, handed the car key to my wife, and rode the bike home. It is a VERY solid bike, but the frame is fugly to me. I plan to use the fork and wheelset on something else.

Good scores!!!! Except that frame, fugly is a nice word for what I'm thinking!

Yeah that frame just has no flow to it, I'd say chop, cut, rebuild it, give it some new lines, then it would look good.

Latest posts

Back