I Ratted out a Tea Set - Gardener Style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides bikes, anyone else on here into plants? I found this old silver-plated coffee and tea set in a spare bedroom at my mom's house that was so tarnished that it couldn't be recovered. Once I was convinced my mom was cool with it, I drilled holes in all the pieces (coffee pot, tea pot, creamer, and sugar bowl) and rivoted them to the tray so they won't move. Then I drilled more holes in the whole thing for drainage, poured in a fair amount of sandy soil, and added some of my favorite plants - a variety of succulents I've been growing in my greenhouse. It turned out pretty cool.
SucculentsinSilverTeaSet004.jpg

SucculentsinSilverTeaSet005.jpg

Dang Randy, in these dog days of summer it's pretty diffucult to show you anything worth a heck in my garden or yard right now. Almost everything I have is pretty much burnt up or trying to survive this monthlong heatwave and drought. I'm sure you know the feeling. Next spring will be a different story though so you'll have to catch me again then. Here's a few pics of the only stuff worth showing you.

I have this one plant we call "Angel Trumpet" (brugmansia). It has a huge bloom and right now it's throwing out its third big batch of flowers. The flowers are trumpet shaped and about the size of my hand. They smell like baby powder. The whole plant is toxic and some people have been dumb enough to take their chance at ingesting it to try to get high off it. It causes hallucinations and then sometimes death. I wouldn't recommend it.
yardandgarden038.jpg

yardandgarden037.jpg

It's too bad the flowers hang downwards. This is a view looking upwards into it.
yardandgarden018.jpg

And here's a pretty good view with my hand in it so you can tell how big they are!
yardandgarden040.jpg

I have a brick wall with nothing on it so I trained a pyracantha to grow on it. Some call it fire bush because it's full of thorns that will light you up and it has red berries in the fall and winter. When the berries ripen, the birds come and eat them off. In spring it blooms with small white flowers.
yardandgarden031.jpg

Wider angle view of the pyracantha. That's a weeping variety of Japanese Maple in front of it. That thing is beautiful in the spring when it's completely red and burgundy with new growth.
yardandgarden021.jpg

You have any aloe? I've got a bunch of it but I've really taken a liking to this one specimen in this pot.
yardandgarden035.jpg

Here at the beach we don't have a whole lot of rocks. I bought about 6 tons of it this past spring and put in some paths around the house with it. I did it all myself and it wore me out!
yardandgarden023.jpg

I think this stuff is called coleus? It likes the shade. I've got it tucked in behind a large oak-leaf hydrangea. You can barely see a few leaves of the hydrangea at bottom left.
yardandgarden030.jpg

I can't remember the name of this plant but the new growth is just so prehistoric looking when it's starting to come out. Check this out.
yardandgarden003.jpg

This is wild looking! Almost looks like plastic!
yardandgarden005.jpg

yardandgarden007.jpg

That's just one corner of the back yard. But any more and I'll get thrashed for not moving this to the Home and Garden forum! Your turn, whatchagot?

Yes my garden is looking pretty bad and burnt up. Looks like some neat, unusual plants you have. Your garden/yard looks so nice and neat. Mine's "garden gone wild". I'm kind of a "plant it and forget it" type of gardener. I don't fuss over anything. Nice work on the path. A decent path is something we really need. No Aloe. My wife's trying to grow a couple Hydrangea in pots this year but they don't look the greatest.
Here's some photos I took earlier this year.

A fellow ratrodbiker on here gave me these local street signs.
IMG_2523.JPG

Really small goldfish pond.
IMG_2223.JPG

Birdhouse I made.
IMG_2154.JPG

Table I made. Chairs were painted with spray paint for plastic. Patio (I now regret making) from broken concrete chunks I scavenged from various places.
IMG_0598.JPG

Deck I built with a friends help. Light I made from minnow bucket. My Dad made us the garden cart. The wheel on it is off of some old farm implement from my family's farm/homestead.
IMG_7579.JPG

The Welcome sign my Daughter and I made when she was little years ago. The mailbox is from my wife's family's homestead.
pic013.JPG

Balloon Flower.
IMG_1947.JPG

Purple Coneflower.
IMG_1935.JPG

Bee Balm.
IMG_1931.JPG

This photo from as few years back.
backpath2.jpg

Man, I really like your style of gardening, Randy. Very cool hardscaping too. That last pic looks like it oughta be in a magazine. It surprises me that you and I have so many of the same plants while living so far from each other and in such different climate zones. The only plant I don't have that you highlighted is the bee balm. In the spring I'll take some pics of my bed of ferns and hostas. It's a great looking combination together. I saw your ferns and think I glimpsed a hosta behind your pond (I don't have a pond but wish I did!). One of my favorite plants in the yard that my wife absolutely hates are my banana trees! They'll easily grow ten feet in a season. It took me three years but I finally got fruit last year. What an amazing experience that was. I only caught pics of the hands of bananas on my cell phone and don't know how to get those pics off the phone and into photobucket. Not many had faith in me that I could grow bananas this far north in Virginia Beach but after nursing these plants for three years I did it! Dang I wish I had a pic of that to show. Anyway, thank goodness for "The Other Talk" or we'd be booted off this site! In the spring we'll have to strategically place some bikes in the pics. I look forward to seeing more. Peace -- Greg

PS: Spotted a few galvenized watering cans in your pics. I have a collection of those too. Check out the English cans by Hawes. You don't see as many of their long neck style here in the US. I gave my wife one for Mother's Day a few years back. It's awesome.

Kind words, Boris. I appreciate it. Check out this hibiscus bloom. Took this yesterday morning. Ended up late for work trying to wait for a bumble bee to enter the frame but it never happens when you want it too!
yardandgarden046.jpg

Back