I think i got lucky today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you may know i have been looking for a cruiser bike. I really really want the op cruiser at wally world but don't like the hub issues it has right out of the box. Haven't been to my favorite thift store in a couple of weeks so I decided to go today and found me a cruiser bike. Needs some work but for the price I got it for I can afford it. :D Also found some other cool bikes there and took pictures with my cell phone. i will put them on here tonight when i get off work, and yes i was supposed to be working when i bought it lol
HPIM0685.jpg

HPIM0686.jpg

HPIM0688.jpg

HPIM0687.jpg

HPIM0690.jpg

HPIM0689.jpg

I forgot to add in my original post that the seat on this thing got stolen right before i bought it. The girl that sold it to me told me that the seat was just on it. She looked at me like I had taken it off so she wouldn't know the price of it(They put the prices on a piece of tape and attach them to the seats). I didn't buy anything else they had several bikes that just came in that i liked but i am not sure what they are worth so i didn't buy them. Here are pictures of the bikes that just came in that I liked. The rest of the bikes there are just little kids bikes or rusty junk. I also liked the panasonic sport 500. The 26" bikes had at least one brake cable stuck except for the savanna bike it seemed ready to ride. The 20" bikes looked good and where ready to ride.
Schwinn World Sport 26"
IMG00065-20100514-0901.jpg

IMG00066-20100514-0901.jpg

Schwinn Impact Pro
IMG00053-20100514-0856.jpg

IMG00054-20100514-0856.jpg

Savanna? 26" Not sure who makes this bike maybe someone here knows....
IMG00055-20100514-0856.jpg

IMG00056-20100514-0857.jpg

IMG00057-20100514-0857.jpg

Schwinn Falcon 20"
IMG00059-20100514-0858.jpg

IMG00058-20100514-0858.jpg

Decathlon Rockrider 20" Blue 5 Speed
IMG00060-20100514-0859.jpg

IMG00064-20100514-0901.jpg

IMG00063-20100514-0901.jpg

Decathlon Rockrider 20'" Orange 7 Speed
IMG00061-20100514-0859.jpg

IMG00062-20100514-0900.jpg

Yeah I just found out that Worksman has a line of Chinese built cheaper model bikes. They are listed on their website - where you can also read their missive about how nothing is made in the US anymore. To their credit, most of what they sell is in fact built, welded, assembled here at their factory in NYC.

I guess they've been selling them for a few years now judging by the condition of that one. Man they do not hold up like the US built bikes. I've got an Industrial Bike that has seen it's share of use and abuse, and is still going strong.

Looks like at least a BMX stem and new cruiser bars to put that one back in action. I dont even want to know what happened to that bike...

The drop-bar Panasonic is a real unusual frame. They are NICE bikes.

Have fun!
--Rob

Regreased my first hub today. Boy was it a learning experience. I unscrewed the nuts holding it together with my hand. :( Two bearings out of the three have rust spots and some wear(There the dirty ones in the pic). The hub had a bad spot from one of the bad bearings. Greased it really really good and just put it back together. Rides good but don't know how long. The crank bearings need to regreased as well(Making Noise). I am afraid that they will be bad also because when i turned it over I noticed a rental label on the crank. No wonder it looks so bad it has been rode and abused for no telling how long. I took pictures after I cleaned all the parts. I will be hopefully be washing the bike and trying to clean it up today.
BikeHubCleaned.jpg

BikeWheelHubCleaned.jpg

BikeRentalSticker.jpg

Don't take offense if I'm telling you things you already know, I don't have any idea what your level of mechanical aptitude/experience is. :|
Loose bearing assemblies can deform the bearing cages, it looks in the pic like that may have happened with your hub. Make sure the cages are not contacting the races when you reassemble your crank, this is one of the most common causes of failure there. The cages can be pushed back together, but some people prefer to remove them completely, possibly even adding a ball. If you do that, make sure that either the cages aren't pressing the balls, or if going cage less, that there's some space left between them. Personally, I like the cages. It's pretty critical on both the crank and the hub, that they are tight enough to eliminate play, but just barely. Too loose is not good, but binding is even worse. Loose nuts and "cones" can also allow the assembly to overtighten against the bearing and dig grooves in them.

Thanks for the advice, I really enjoy all the help I receive from members here. I know nothing about working on bikes except what I have been learning from this site. I have worked on cars for years at a lexus dealership and gave that up to help my dad when he started his own business three years ago. Making alot less money now so i decided after finding this site i would give fixing and restoring bikes a try. It amazed me taking that hub apart and seeing how it worked inside. I can't wait to take the crank apart and fix it.

Took out the torch out and heated the bars and stem and made a quick fix to straighten everything out.
HPIM0698.jpg

Back