I think I may have a problem.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well, I may have encountered a problem today. I have found what I am thinking is a 1956 Schwinn Phantom and it is all there. It needs some work, and I already agreed to buy it. I bought it over pictures, and I can pick it up Monday. But here is the issue...

It has a locking springer front end, which is cool and all, but it is locked in the lock position, and the key is dust in the wind.

So my question is...

Is there a way to unlock it?

Or are the repop keys from the 1995 bikes the same?

Is there "master" keys?

HELP PLEASE :cry:

A good locksmith should be able to cut a key for it from the code on the lock. I think. I was told something like that.

I saw the bike and knew I had to have it, but the price reflected the catch which is the lock problem. I'll try with the local locksmith on monday too. If not, I guess I have a cool wall ornament...

From a post over on another website many of us visit:

I HAVE A COLLECTION OF ORIGINAL SCHWINN/YALE KEYS FOR THE CYCLE LOCKS
AVAILABLE FOR COLLECTORS NEEDING ONE TO MATCH THEIR ORIGINAL AN CYLINDER.
I ALSO CAN CUT SMOOTH BRASS KEYS TO FIT AN 1 THRU AN 500.
WES PINCHOT
[email protected]

Might be worth sending him an email.

mikeeebikey said:
If I thought that bike was safe I'd drill the cylinder out!
Its a safe bike, and that was my initial thought. It has been a friends yard art for the past few years, and he got it form the scrapyard some years before that, but to my surprise, its in really fair/rideable shape.

DJ Bill said:
Might be worth sending him an email.
I'll send that guy an email once I get the numbers off the fork.

Danimal said:
First World Problems.
:D

naturephotoboy3 said:
FLINTSTONE!!!!!! Live there the first and worst 32 years of my life. Miss my family..dont miss the snow

It snowed on and off here like crazy today, and of course in Michigan fashion everyone FREAKS OUT and spins out. Its just a reminder how much I hate this weather too.

TuckTuck said:
naturephotoboy3 said:
FLINTSTONE!!!!!! Live there the first and worst 32 years of my life. Miss my family..dont miss the snow

It snowed on and off here like crazy today, and of course in Michigan fashion everyone FREAKS OUT and spins out. Its just a reminder how much I hate this weather too.

Im in Arizona now..moved here in 98 and cant imagine NOT living here. Sun all year long..ride 365 unless we have 1 of our 3 days of rain. I will say i miss the people back there.

Back