I want a 3 speed hub- where do I start?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Huffy Cranbrook. I want a 3 speed hub so I can tolerate riding it around my hilly town. It seems to me that there are three options...

1. Find an old wheel that has a 3 speed hub already built in, and it might fit my bike?

2. Purchase a 3 speed hub, and all other parts req. to build my own wheel- where do I get those parts?

3. Purchase a fully built wheel with the 3 speed hub

I imagine that any option will cost close to what I payed for the whole bike (or more), I accept that. I am mechanically savy, but I am brand new to bike building.

How should I accomplish this?
Thank you all.

Here is another option to consider that comes with the Nexus 3 speed hub if you decide not to go the modify/build route:

http://www.wal-mart.com.cn/ip/Huffy-Reg ... n/19765344

I bought one of these this year. Like any Walmart bike be prepared for problems like wheels needing to be trued, front hub overtightened, crank overtightened, little or no grease in the bearings......

This year I got a Cranbrook given to me and I actually ride it a fair amount with stock drive train, even up hills. Course terrain varies from area to area but the only ones around here I have to stand and pedal for are steeper hills on rock roads. The Regatta with the Nexus 3 IGH I don't have to stand up to pedal with it. But some people online say they aren't geared low enough for steep hills. Again terrain and rider conditioning vary.

In some areas you can find used bikes with the internal gear hubs. That would likely be the least expensive route but depends on the area you live in. Around here in the three state corner I live in they never seem to come up for sale.

Thanks for the fast replies! I checked out the bikepartsusa website and saw 3 speed wheel pairs for about 170. I then looked at the Huffy Regatta 3 speed at wally world for 150.

If I were to purchase a regatta, is there any way I can be sure that its rear wheel can fit on to my cranbrook? They are both huffy, so chances are good I suppose?

Go to the store and measure it, if they stock them. Heck, it's the same style bike, why swap it? One speed bike for the corner store, 3 speed for bike rides. :mrgreen:

DISCLAIMER: No endorsement or quality claims of Walmart bikes implied. :mrgreen:

Watch Craigslist for a bike that has a Nexus 3 speed. Transfer the wheel set to your Huffy, put the Huffy wheel set on the bike and re-sell it. You might even make a profit if you get the bike cheap enough. :D

jerrykr said:
Watch Craigslist for a bike that has a Nexus 3 speed. Transfer the wheel set to your Huffy, put the Huffy wheel set on the bike and re-sell it. You might even make a profit if you get the bike cheap enough. :D

You been on here too long, you're starting to sound like Kingfish. :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
jerrykr said:

You been on here too long, you're starting to sound like Kingfish. :lol:
:D :D

Or RatRod hisownself..... :D :D :D

You are learning well Grasshopper!

kungfu22.jpg

Latest posts

Back