I want a Scooter!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know gas prices are crazy. Is there anyone considering buying a scooter? Who owns a scooter already? What is the real scoop on the Chinese made no name scooters, are they really not worth buying? I want to see pics, info, opinions and I want to see somebody from New Jersey sell me an old Honda or Yamaha for cheap!(I dont care if it's a 50cc either) lol

Build a motor bike. Kits are like $250 for everything you need sans bicycle and lighting, 100+mpg and funny looks from everyone on your way to work. Just use a bike more sensible than I did!

Markm said:
how loud are they and how fast can they go??
They're not loud with the stock muffler. Speed depends on tire size, gearing, etc. The lazy ray takes off fast and can ride wheelies, but maxes out at about 30mph. 26inchers can do about 40-45 geared stock, but are sluggish on take off. I think you can buy different size sprockets, but it'd be just as easy to make a bmx or exersize machine sprocket work, depending on your size need.

I don't know much about scooters, would'nt buy cheap tawain or chinese stuff. I think an old Vespa would be cooler!

Old Vespas are expensive and you have to change gears..I don't believe a bicycle with a motor is road "legal". I need something to get back and forth to work. I am actually liking the mid 80's Honda Elite 250cc..Yes its old and hard to come by..There is a guy in NY selling one with the front panels all damaged..I want to buy it but where would I get skins? I kno I kno off another old Honda..oh wells

FaceOFFbikes said:
Old Vespas are expensive and you have to change gears..I don't believe a bicycle with a motor is road "legal". I need something to get back and forth to work. I am actually liking the mid 80's Honda Elite 250cc..Yes its old and hard to come by..There is a guy in NY selling one with the front panels all damaged..I want to buy it but where would I get skins? I kno I kno off another old Honda..oh wells
I don't know how other states are, but in ohio a bicycle with at least 80cc motor, brake light,headlight, mirrors, and a title and vin number is street legal.
I understand wanting a safe reliable scooter, motorbikes are kinda squirly but they're very cheap and fun. Best of luck with your search.

FaceOFFbikes said:
Ok I know gas prices are crazy. Is there anyone considering buying a scooter? Who owns a scooter already? What is the real scoop on the Chinese made no name scooters, are they really not worth buying? I want to see pics, info, opinions and I want to see somebody from New Jersey sell me an old Honda or Yamaha for cheap!(I dont care if it's a 50cc either) lol

hey hook up with ADC on here he runs SCOOTDAWG.com or did haven't seen him in a while. go over there and check out the forum over there.
a lot like here but scooter cats. lots of answers lots. they can steer you towards a good drop ship place or a local place to get one.

as for the 50cc no worries they got 70 to 100cc hop up kits to cure that as for the cop seeing to ZIP by at 64.6 with no helmet a moped tag they tend to frown on that and ask questions.

they are fun and cheep on gas but to be legal just get a 150 to 200 cc proper plate tag and ride it like a motorcycle.
http://store.scootertronics.com/ here is one place if you get it drop shipped to your house or a terminal close to ya for 1500 bones or less your doing good
check scoodawg's links to shop around
Copyofscooter.jpg

i run around on a 50cc honda metropolitan, pretty much bulletproof, 100 mpg and 40mph top speed.

i recommend at least a 125cc though if your need more speed (55-60mph) yamaha vino 125, vespa lx, or genuine buddy 125 are my favorites.

the 250s will go anywhere you need them too but cost more.

i would rather buy a "big name" scoot though rather than a no-name or knock off (and schwinns scooters are rebadged knock offs IMO)

there are cheaper and equally as fun, but more likely to have "special needs" whether its mechanical reliability or poor assembly, the wait for a part cpuld keep you scootless all season long.

brands i like = hondas, yamahas, genuine scooter co., vespa (you will pay more just for the name too), kymco, aprilla, italjet, and i have heard some good stuff about TGB and Bajaj scooters but havent seen for myself.

Thank you everyone for your input.. So let me say again.. Cheap! and old! or should I say used! I can't afford the newer scoots.. I aslo want a honda or yamaha but they are hard to find for a decent price..

if ya dont mind the 80's styling, the honda elites 80cc and 125cc can usually be found pretty cheap and are good choices IMO, yamaha Jogs and Rivas are also decent scoots too in the used department, if you get an old vespa though, youll probly spend more to get it runnin than what youll buy the "project" for (from experience). also Genuine Scooters made/make a Vespa clone called the Stella. nice for the price and 55mph capable too.

Copyofscooter.jpg

sorry so small but this is a 1990 something yamaha zuma stock 49. motor short air filter it would get 40+ and pull some sick hole shots.

thought..... wow they make hop up kits for this :shock: if you can find one of those cheep i'd say grab it. it went 4 seasons and one whole year of riding it like a rented mule. road, snow, trails it was a good lil scoot

I didnt know 50cc Zumas went about 40mph.. They dont sell cheap either.. Maybe I shud hit up all the delivery guys in the city for a lead

the older (more powerful Zumas and and have awesome aftermarket possibilites) were 2 strokes, i believe they made some recent ones that were 4 strokes, both good options but the 2 strokes will haul !!! so will the genuine buddy50/rattler50 (2strokes)

2 strokes = more power but smelly exhaust

4 strokes = last longer (my opinion) but less smelly

also check out the hardknock by kikker , like a mini rat rod motorcycle, dont know how street legal the are tho, that 7 speed is awesome !!! nice link UCWT

I bought a Honda Met for my daughter last year and that's when I caught the bug. I bought a Chinese scoot for myself this spring with a 4 cycle air cooled 50cc motor. A lot of fun for $5 of gas a week.(Take note that around here it costs $200 to fill up a Ford F150) :)

Cool Beans.. So where are the pics of everyone's Scoot? I am watching a Honda Met on ebay.. low miles but the body panels are all cracked or scratched.. 06 model with less than a thousand miles.. oh and a fried ECM (computer).. I just want a lil ole Honda Spree/Aero/Elite or Yamaha Jog/Jazz 50cc to cruise..Yes I know they are tiny lookin" but if I can ride a pocket bike.. why can I ride a tiny scoot? lol

Latest posts

Back