I Want the Fastest Balloon Tires!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ride a lot on 26 x 2.125 tires. I am on a mission to find the best combination of parts for this purpose. I can't help but notice the differences in tires. It seems that fastest tires I have are, believe it or not, Kenda Flames. What in your experiences are the fastest you have found?

higher air pressure, minimal ground contact = faster tire

try some schwalbes :mrgreen:

sc1ue2-1.jpg

FRANK_BLACK.jpg

I had some hookworm tires that rolled pretty easy too, I just dont like the looks of the tread myself

images

I hear the hookworms are fast, but like others have replied, and I can vouch for, the Fat Franks roll really nice and fast.

CCR said:
... or did you mean specifically 26 x 2.125 tire around 35 psi ?

So far, I inflate everything to about 45 - 50psi. I saw the Schwalbes were 2.35 and was a little worried the extra width would be a negative(?)...

dougfisk said:
CCR said:
... or did you mean specifically 26 x 2.125 tire around 35 psi ?

So far, I inflate everything to about 45 - 50psi. I saw the Schwalbes were 2.35 and was a little worried the extra width would be a negative(?)...

As long as there is room for it in the bike its not going to make a difference, the "rounder" the profile of the tire the better though for going fast, makes less contact with ground and wont slow down as much when coasting.

My 26x2.35" Big Apples are right over 2.25". They are mounted on a skinnier MTB wheel. They have a tall profile and properly inflated, the contact patch is about 1 inch. I would think they would fit easily in any balloon tire frame. Middleweight may be a tight fit.

Everthing I have is a balloon frame so the fit will not be a problem.

The Schwalbe are higher priced but they are well worth the performance and quality. Plus they come in some different colors and puncture protection.
**Disclaimer- I dont' work for a bike shop or Schwable.

I don't have a lot to compare them to but I found the thick bricks that came on my deep six roll very easy and roll forever. They are a lot lighter that I thought they would be also. Very rounded tread surface and I believe they are 60 psi tires.

For commuting, I run around 2" tires, currently sunlite/Kenda motorcycle tread slicks, or the Kenda kwest.
I get a little crazy with psi, 90ish.
I ride 17 miles a day, 52lbs. Of bike and gear.

The Maxxis Hookworm is an excellent tire! This tire is in use on “Miss Fit” as the rear tire and will be on the BFK soon on both front and rear 20X1.95 and 16X1.95, both have a max pressure of 110psi :!:

I am not trying to start anything!

After riding 40 years, I still like tires as hard as my first bike, a plastic tired convertible, but I do like softer tread.
Freestyle, street, and ramp riding made me learn to pump them up, a lot. No more snake bites in tubes, less rolling resistance, high school power slides!
My knees hurt with to low of pressure.
Cheap tires blow out, dry rotted tires blow out, imperfect beading, they blow! Notice a theme?
I stand when it gets rough, or say, I ride light in the saddle. Thinking of which is a padded bmx, with a bell cover. Not soft. I do use a custom MTB. Handlebar cut into a seat post, read flexibility.
I go to slow with low pressures.
I knife into sand... so I bmx, mtb, grass slide, hockey slide, power slide....
So that's my arguments for and against.
Fast tire, tioga city slickers, Michelin reverse tread slicks are nice.

I read something, I can't remember where, that said the ideal tire pressure for my weight and this tire size was about 45 lbs. I'll bet there is more than one take on this...

You may have to actually feel the tires also. Different rubber compounds make a difference also. My thick bricks almost feel plastic when you feel the rubber itself. It's a very hard compound rubber. The problem is that bicycle tire manufacturers don't really disclose hardness or rubber compounds. At least not on cruiser tires. The colored tires as opposed to the standard black rubber may also change the hardness of the tires. Fast and hard tires may not be the most comfortable ride but the original post was strictly asking for a fast tire. So harder rubber, higher pressure, rounded contact area, equals smaller contact patch and less resistance. Also a slick may not be as fast as a tire with treads. The least amount of rubber on the road the faster.

My only experience with fast tires are with my one set of Bontrager Hank red lines. Inflate to 75 lbs. and deflate your wallet $75. I have them on a '41 Schwinn tanker with a Nexus 7 speed. 52/18 gears and that bike will roll. First time I climbed on and rode it the difference was amazing. The lack of rolling resistance was like riding a lightweight road bike. Now I hate riding my other ballooners with the mushy fat tires. I think the Bontrager red lines are discontinued but I'm sure you can still get Bontrager high pressure balloon tires of some sort. Gary

Folks recommending Schwalbes makes sense, by why choose the slower Schwalbes? If you're not worried about the rate of wear or likelihood of flats, go for the fast-n-fat (and expensive) Schwalbes:
Super Moto 26x2.35", $85
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/super_moto_430
Schwalbe-Super-Moto-Image_300x246-ID28070-5a4a38deba0ff0cd794ebc1dbc678d14.jpg
(29er version shown...)

Kojak 26x2.0", $40 for wire bead, $60 for folding bead
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/kojak
schwalbe-kojak-mounted.jpg

I run some Franks, which are plenty fast for me, albeit a bit heavy. I like the treads on the Franks for all-purpose use, but I kinda wanna put super motos on a bike for max balloon speed...

346 Ballon is what i have found to be the best with a very small contact point which translates to less friction and that equals more speed better rolling. Flip side of that is less traction in turns,

Latest posts

Back