i want to learn engine turning on chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it on guns. You will need...a drill press with a cross feed vise that is indexed, some round stainless steel brushes that you can put in the chuck, and a can of Clover Compound. The Clover Compound is the abrasive goop that does the cutting. You just basically put the goop on the part and lower the stainless brush in the drill press and put light pressure on the part. The abrasive cuts the swirls. Since the part is now gooped up after the first cut, you can't see much so that is why you need the indexed cross feed. Turn the indexed knob however far you need to go and cut another swirley. To get a nice pattern, you have to move the part over the same distance every time. When the first row is done, start the second row offset 1/2 of a swirl.
I can post a couple pics of the gun parts I've done if you'd like to see them. Gary

I think chrome is too hard. Aluminum or stainless steel is usually what is engine turned, like the old Trans Am dashes.

i tried with my dremel and it dont seem to want to do much i used a stainless wire brush in it i tried a sanding disk and the bolt in the dremel sanding mandrell hits the bars im disapointed now darnit :? :? :( :cry: :shock:

B607 said:
I've done it on guns. You will need...a drill press with a cross feed vise that is indexed, some round stainless steel brushes that you can put in the chuck, and a can of Clover Compound. The Clover Compound is the abrasive goop that does the cutting. You just basically put the goop on the part and lower the stainless brush in the drill press and put light pressure on the part. The abrasive cuts the swirls. Since the part is now gooped up after the first cut, you can't see much so that is why you need the indexed cross feed. Turn the indexed knob however far you need to go and cut another swirley. To get a nice pattern, you have to move the part over the same distance every time. When the first row is done, start the second row offset 1/2 of a swirl.
I can post a couple pics of the gun parts I've done if you'd like to see them. Gary
thank you so much for your good info i guess its not going to happen 4 me i dnt have all those items i seem to have good ideas but they never get to work out 4 me

Latest posts

Back