I would like some ideas...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bike.jpg

Just traded some car audio stuff for this and i like it but i would like it to be made a bit more custom. Im thinking of a bigger wheel for the back and maybe the front as well with wider tyres, but apart from that i dont really have a clue. I will be doing some airbrush work on the frame and am thinking something along the lines of smoking aces or something with the ace of spades?

anyway this is my start please if you have time let me know what you think!!

cheers

Charl

i'm not good with the paint part (i pretty much don't paint anything) but i would look for the largest diameter rear wheel/tire also.

not really familiar with that frame so that's as far as i can suggest.

That frame is suppose to have a 26'' on the back and I think they cut the front tubes off to make it sit level with the small back rim. Your going to be limited now because if you raise the back it will kinda look funny and with that neck it takes a tripple tree fork with a long neck tube to fit. You might find some 1'' outside diameter tubes and have someone weld some dropouts on it and put it back to a length that will work with a 26'' on the front.

I would put a bend in the seat post so the seat sits back about an extra 6 inches, giving the sissy bar a swept back angle and lowering the seating position. You might have to add a couple holes to the sissy bar to lower the rear of the seat, and then using the existing holes to mount a leather bag.

Ok so since were building sarahs bike i have not had any oppertunity to do anything to mine but i did have a look at putting a bigger wheel on the back but i think there is no room unless i move the bars that would hold the rear brake. if i cut them off would i need to put them back higher up in the frame for strength?

IMGP1477.jpg

IMGP1476.jpg

thanks

charl

Charl said:
. . . i did have a look at putting a bigger wheel on the back but i think there is no room unless i move the bars that would hold the rear brake. if i cut them off would i need to put them back higher up in the frame for strength?

If you decide to do that, weld in the new crossbraces before you cut out the old ones. That way your frame will be braced and not warp when you weld. :wink:

What I would do; Cut it where the 3 center bars meet, weld the goose neck there, nice rake, bent seat post and move the seat back 8-12", and a wheelie bar. 20-3" on the rear. shorten the frame, move the seat back, fat on back, wheelie. My 2 cents.

NBP MotorSporrts said:
What I would do; Cut it where the 3 center bars meet, weld the goose neck there, nice rake, bent seat post and move the seat back 8-12", and a wheelie bar. 20-3" on the rear. shorten the frame, move the seat back, fat on back, wheelie. My 2 cents.
I do all kinds of things to frames ..I would have problems doing those changes to a frame. Your best bet is to flip that bike and find a 26'' frame and build the bike you want from there. Way simpler than to completely change a frame that is made for small wheels.

thanks for the ideas, i have decided to keep the frame the way it is and have a 20" wheel with 3 inch tyre on the back, 26" wheel on the front with 3 inch tyre. to achieve this i am going to have to get longer front fork tubes and reweld the dropouts onto them. so while i am at it i am going to make the dropouts disk break compatible so i can have a disk on the front.

as for the paint scheme, im going to make the frame metalic blue with some airbrush artwork using the ace of spades as the main theme. i have a pivture in my head of what i want it to look like and i think its gonna be sweet!

just after an opinion again as well.

the new longer fork tubes are going to have the dropouts welded onto them so i am tossing up between painting the tubes to look like carbon fibre or colour code them to the frame but leave the rest of the fork assembly the colour it already is?

does that make sense?

also i would like to know what the preferred type of metal to make the new fork rods out of would be?

A 26'' rim with a 3'' tire is 28'' tall. If you run that on the front and a 20'' x 3'' tire on the back you will get a penny farthing look.
On a bike ,almost any kind of tubing that is 16 gauge or thicker will probably work . Those tubes are probably 1 1/8'' ,so simple water pipe probably wont work.

Ok so its been a while but you know how it can get at this time of year with christmas and new years etc! but even though progress has been heaps slow at least there has been some progress!

I have been trying to chase up some tubular steel to make my longer fork posts but thus far have been unsuccessful. :(
So if anyone in Adelaide knows where i can get some 32mm diameter x 800mm long x 1.35mm thick pipe for my forks i would be most appreciative! then its weld on some dropouts and have them chromed and im done with the forks!

as for all the other chrome on the bike, that will all stay chromed of course!

and then there is the frame...

I spent the day yesterday paint stripping it back to bare metal and giving it its paint coat. But now im torn between putting some metal flake in the clearcoat or doing some white pinstriping here and there and then just using normal gloss clear.

Decisions, decisions!! (feel free to make suggestions)

as for my wifes bike, weve been waiting for parts from the bike shop to finish it off now for almost three months! its getting a bit rediculous so i think i might have to ring them and tell them to not worry about it and try to source the parts ourselves from somewhere else.

anyway here are some pics of my frame so far....

IMGP1594Small.jpg

IMGP1595Small.jpg

Shot some green metallic at the fame tonight and then layered on a lot of clear gloss. next comes some pin-striping and then some more clear. still chasing the tubular steel to get my front forks done. failing that i might just have to stick with a 20" rim for the front as well?

i still want to make a custom rear mudguard and paint that to match the green.

IMGP1596Small.jpg

IMGP1597Small.jpg

IMGP1600Small.jpg

IMGP1601Small.jpg

So I know its been a while but im back again!!

Never really showed the finished product here but let me know what you guys think!!

Did some pinstriping on the fender

IMGP1620.jpg

IMGP1622.jpg

and here is a mock up of the bike with the big wheel on the front, i had to modify the front forks by lengthening them to fit the wheel on!!

IMGP1615.jpg

IMGP1616.jpg

and here is the finished, (almost), product:

IMGP1624.jpg

IMGP1626.jpg

IMGP1627.jpg

IMGP1629.jpg

IMGP1625.jpg

20" x 2.125 whitewall ordered today for the rear!

IMGP1628.jpg

Me riding it!

IMGP1618.jpg

IMGP1619.jpg

still looking for ideas? that thing is screaming for a bolt on trike rear end. 24 inch rims 3x24" tires.
i think it would finish your project just right!

DSC01749.jpg

i'd start by making a request to the good folks here on rrb. :)
check the classifieds here,cl, kijiji etc.

these things have a way of working themselves out.

Latest posts

Back