Idiot Steampunk from MN with a beat up firestone

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cheers! And I'd thought I'd post here first to let you lot know what type of maniac you approved to join your forum! YOU FOOLS! :21: *Ahem* :whew: A little bit about me.

I am welder by trade I suffer from that dastardly "Can never leave anything stock or normal" disease. I live in Isanti, MN in a small rural town with an overcrowded population of slightly north of 5500. Yeah its a big town.. I grew up in St.Paul where I cut my teeth on tinkering on vintage VW's and my true pride in joy a 1962 black Tiger Schwinn I saved from being scrapped.(was always in the alleyway and the day I asked was the day the guys wife was pressuring him to get it the f' out of there! So I got the bike for free, he inflated the tires and off I went. ) It was, is, and will forever be that bike I love. It is good condition and just needs a rear tire and a tube. I will eventually get to that.
My fiance rides daily to work a Monark girls bike that used to be my mother's which we rescued from goodwill during a 99 cent day. She loves it and shares my philosophy of the old stuff is usually better then the new stuff (A few exceptions to the rule)
I own a few other bikes including an unknown make bike from the 1950's that splits in half, I saw an 1950's "THE CITY OF THE FUTURE" black and white movie reel featuring the exact same bike in it. It's another goodwill for dirt cheap find back when goodwill wasn't selling bikes for 30 bucks a pop.

Now the real reason why I am here and thing in the title. My fiancee bought me a 1950's fire stone for 20 bucks at a garage sale we went too. We were all on bikes too so we ended up having to hold this bike inbetween ours as we biked away. I learned it was a firestone only by comparing it to my fiance's monark and the fact the forks were identical. I went entirely off of the sprocket since the front wheel on it was a schwinn wheel. The bike was stripped of anything original and it was painted a rattle can red, and boy this bike has been through heck and back. (Became regular transportation for me) Now its going to be reborn as something a bit insane. I purchased a 1930's-1940's briggs and stratton motor and a moped fork. So this bike is going to be motorized and hopefully end up as transportation once again.

I'll hopefully be able to take some crap-tastic pictures using my Iphone tomorrow and upload them. My poor tiger is donating its front wheel to my firestone since my firestone gave up its schwinn wheel to my fiancee's monark after its hub suffered from the classic monark cracking and spewing out grease. I put that wheel on the firestone and it destroyed its own axle, so we ended up taking the front axle and bearings from a mountain bike. Hopefully the new wheels I got coming in the mail will allow for the original owners of each wheel to go where they originally came from.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention my fiancee also has a spaceliner bike my mother informed us about at a garage sale. We acquired the bike for 5 dollars and is missing its tanks, but still a vintage bike for five bucks is always worth the risk!

I'll hopefully be able to take some crap-tastic pictures using my Iphone tomorrow and upload them. My poor tiger is donating its front wheel to my firestone since my firestone gave up its schwinn wheel to my fiancee's monark after its hub suffered from the classic monark cracking and spewing out grease. I put that wheel on the firestone and it destroyed its own axle, so we ended up taking the front axle and bearings from a mountain bike. Hopefully the new wheels I got coming in the mail will allow for the original owners of each wheel to go where they originally came from.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention my fiancee also has a spaceliner bike my mother informed us about at a garage sale. We acquired the bike for 5 dollars and is missing its tanks, but still a vintage bike for five bucks is always worth the risk!
Is it a girls spaceliner? If so I might have a tank and bezel that might fit.

Okay I got a bunch of pictures. So I may need to break this up into numerous posts since I've noticed I get forum server errors if I do large posts.
Here's the flagship bike: the beat to heck firestone.
IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG
The third one isn't going the wrong way on my computer. How Bizarre, anyways the fourth image shows just how far back the fork got pushed. This now stops the bike from using a fender with that fork. Tune into my build thread to see my solution! :113: (See link in signature!)

Next up is my fiance's bikes. ( I realized I forgot to take a picture of the spaceliner :doh:)
First the monark. I am not sure of the vintage of this bike, but maybe one of you guys would know. My mom repainted it blue and painted vines on the fender. My fiance liked that so it was a good thing. I gave it to her as a gift. Much to my mothers despair. However this bike is my fiance's daily driver :thumbsup: I got the headlight and the speedo for her. It has been through quite a bit of tires. Oh yes that's a question I may need to ask about finding proper size tires for these older bikes.

IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPGIMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG
Now for my other bikes. Heres my pride and joy in and unprideful state.:eek::(
my 1962 tiger schwinn. It's front wheel is on the firestone and its rear tube sprung a leak.
IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG
How cool is that tax plate in the second picture? I got that from the bike which donated its seat to this bike. It's a perfect touch. I love stuff like that. Also I never knew bikes were sold by dealerships until I saw the decal on this one. I love this bike it was my first vintage bike and oh boy did I terrorize the neighbourhoods with it. It is fast too. Used to outrun everybody.:113:
Now for the misfits. Here's the unknown bike I picked up for cheap (3.99 if my memory serves me right?). I am thinking about repainting it and making it a car show bike. Anybody have any idea what the heck this thing is? The seat that is on the fire stone came from this bike. Its a messinger seat? ( I hope I spelt that correctly.)
IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0041.JPG
Now here's a bike I did not mention because its not vintage, but this was a christmas morning bike for me back in 2005 I think?:wondering:
This is a schwinn OCC stingray. I used to ride it constantly but the chain just kept derailling so it got parked. Father constantly complained about how he knew this would happen and how his money got thrown down the drain.o_O Yeah... It was a cool bike, I still have no idea what I want to do with it.
IMG_0034.JPG

So that's all of my bikes for now. Not unless somebody comes up to me and offers me a wooden rim bicycle or a whizzer I doubt my collection will grow... *Gulp*:eek: Now I just jinxed myself!

Oh yes and here is my non two wheeled project.
1958 vw type 1 hotrod, it was a barn find, sat for thirty years. I saw this car back in 2011 for sale and it was the dream car for me. Fast forward to 2015 and I have it!:thumbsup:
IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

So thats what I got :113: Hope you lot enjoyed my collection so far.

Last edited:
I just posted this in my build thread but I thought you guys who stop by here might want to get included on the chaos!
Here's the part that arrived today!:thumbsup:
IMG_0029.JPG
Heres its mock up!
IMG_0031.JPG
Hmm! I like!:thumbsup:

And here's me getting eager and just LOBBING IT ON! Throw caution to the wind! TALLY HO!
IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

Everything fit like a charm! (Except for that front wheel its now borrowing my other scwhinn's wheel. the cheeky bugger) Everything worked. Even the original bearings and such! My tiger's wheel was too narrow for it. so I had to use my 24inch chopper's wheel. But that fork is amazing! The suspension and ride quality are crazy. You do not feel a thing and I was going over grass, wooden planks and other farm based obstacles!

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    604.2 KB · Views: 182
That little gray thing that comes apart in two pieces is a firestone vagabond, built by Murray. It should have a person's saddle, I'll get pics of mine tonight to show you.

If you look in the for sale thread for Murray skymaster, you'll see the type of seat it should have. Might even buy a new bike.:grin:

Welcome! I liked ya after the first paragraph :D Lots of good folks and info around here, hope ya stick around.

I like the color of that firestone. Those batavus forks should be nice once you've got a motor on there.
That's the paint job my fiancé gave it after we bought it. It's original color was a beautiful red, but at some point somebody sprayed it an awful bright red which you can see leaking through.

Took it for a spin down the road today. Either it the fact that its windy or I haven't ridden a bike since august that has caused it to be so hard on me. Or perhaps its that OCC 24inch scwhinn tire that was doing it. Either way the front fork going down everything makes you feel nothing.:thumbsup: Can't wait for the new wheels to show up.. and the motor. I am still thinking about transmission ideas.:113:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from another Minnesotan, ya sure dontcha know! Great group of guys on here. Rat on!

Been buying parts like a mad man. Well technically I am a mad man for even attempting this build! :crazy:

I got parts coming in from all over the world!
Brass levers from India!
Vintage moped 80mph speedo made in france from Canada!
Brake cables from Georgia (usa not in europe. That'd be insane!:eek:)
Whizze- I mean cruzzer wheels from California, made in Taiwan.
1930's brigs WM engine from North Carolina
Moped Fork from Wisconsin... Hey that explains why that got here so fast! It was a stone lob away.:21:

Oh yes and a bunch of parts from Falstaff.(Ohio thrown into the mix!) Why do I have the feeling he is cleaning out his garage and sending me all he can :39: (On a serious much thanks to Falstaff. My build wouldn't be as fired up if it wasn't for him.) IF anybody else wants to clean out their garage of bike parts I'll pay for shipping!:wink1: ( I fear I may have opened up a can of worms there :eek:)

Seriously thanks you guys! Without your kind support I would not even be attempting this build!:113:

So much knowledge here! This place rules! :forum:

Back