If only they made...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am searching out some information from everyone here at the forums. I am a designer at a custom machine shop and I would like to start making some really cool bike parts and would like to know what you would like to be able to buy, if it were available. I want to come up with stuff that looks old in its styling, but new in its function and material. Stuff like pedals, stems, hubs would be a good place to start, I think, but I want to know what you guys (and gals) think. Photos will also help the design process along by giving me styling cues. Post up your coolest parts (hot rod and other imagery appreciated as well) and I will see what I can come up with.

Here goes nuthin'! :D

How about wild handel bars & Sissybars?
pretzlebars2.jpg

Screamerparts002.jpg

stuff003.jpg

Chrome truss rods and associated brackets would seem like an easy sell. Also repop Western Flyer springer front ends. Troxel seat springs would be a huge hit. Bet there are a bunch of Troxels out there with shot springs. If I could get new springs I'd rebuild that seat.

Skip tooth sprockets designed for new 3, 7, & 8 speed Shimano Nexus rear hubs would be easy & sell like crazy if geared appropriately to match the larger old skip tooth chainrings. A lot of people just file off every other tooth but that can change the ratios with the larger chainring from what Shimano spec'd the hub at. Nail that to specific toothed older chanrings & you would have a huge seller in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Gary Mc said:
Skip tooth sprockets designed for new 3, 7, & 8 speed Shimano Nexus rear hubs would be easy & sell like crazy if geared appropriately to match the larger old skip tooth chainrings. A lot of people just file off every other tooth but that can change the ratios with the larger chainring from what Shimano spec'd the hub at. Nail that to specific toothed older chanrings & you would have a huge seller in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

I like this idea.

If not you I would like to see someone make new version of Murray rat trap springer fork parts so people can put on their own vintage fork or for the originals missing parts.

if you have the ability to make the parts you should build a whole bike with rear facing dropouts maybe like a laguna frame with skiptooth and a springer fork or some type of cycle truck that steers at the rear like a forklift

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Id like some pedals that look like brass knuckles,ive seen them for Harley kick starts but not as pedals...

Do you have punch presses and tool and die makers at your machine shop? You could sell Schwinn straight bar tanks for $150-$200 each. No repops are available any more as far as I know. $75 bucks each time the punch press cycles is good money. I'm a retired machinist, by the way. Set-up operator on Brown & Sharpe screw machines. Gary

Fatkid a service to do waterjet or plasma cut parts (dropouts,gussets, tank plates etc) at a reasonable price and biker friendly would be nice . I'v been playing with eMachineshop program at work and its seemes quite intuitive.

Gary I ran pointer machines at Elco Ind in Rockford when I was in HS and college. some were still leather belt driven off a shaft that ran under the machines.

i'm trying to pull images off bing search so i don't know how well it'll work

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/graphics/00 ... 311300.jpg

i think it's called a chrome rail. if something like this could be made to fit a solo saddle, or maybe made to clamp to the post under the saddle since all saddles aren't alike. truthfully i don't know how it could be done, but this is what i'd like if i could afford it. even moreso if it rose in the back slightly like a backrest.

another pic off ebay that might be better

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-D ... 23135f15c5

As stupid as this may sound, what about some stainless shoulder bolts for Monark type springers? Using other forks...no problem....making rockers....no problem....finding the proper (or even slighter longer for thicker rockers) shoulder bolts.....problem.

Here's another one, how about some HUGE caliper brakes that will fit around 24/26 x 3 tires....

Just my .02....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
As stupid as this may sound, what about some stainless shoulder bolts for Monark type springers? Using other forks...no problem....making rockers....no problem....finding the proper (or even slighter longer for thicker rockers) shoulder bolts.....problem.

Here's another one, how about some HUGE caliper brakes that will fit around 24/26 x 3 tires....

Just my .02....

Cheers,
Dr. T
Now you're talking.

front half of the monark springer that will fit a 3' wide tire, cool rockers, that put the axle in front of the springer [ like a harley]. 65 and above tooth sprocket w/ diffrent designs, deep dish rear sprockets that match the big sprockets[65 and above] for a smooth ridea, tank for worksman frames :shock: over the fender fender braces. :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :idea: :idea: :idea:
That sissy bar w/ noose is REALLY cool

FatBoy said:
Id like some pedals that look like brass knuckles,ive seen them for Harley kick starts but not as pedals...

I already designed some platform pedals "inspired" by brass knuckles, I will have to see if I can get some screenshots of the pedals.

Back