Im building?? CWC?? 47??well not sure what I have yet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-3.jpg

9.jpg

7-2.jpg

6.jpg

5-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

best I can figure is late 40s cwc... hufffman maybe...

probably start tonight or tomorrow. :)

Re: Im building?? well not sure what I have yet

does it meen its old if all th small nutts are square? :mrgreen: :wink: :?

CWC for sure, but I don't know much about them. I would guess late 40's as well, but just a guess.

well I took it all apart... ready to hopefully get back to it later this week....and the wife cought me on camera :mrgreen:

10.jpg

11.jpg

hopefully I can reuse the bearings, they look ok i think :?
15.jpg

I think the crank set is gonna go. I have more of these style. it looks like somebody welded the pedal to the crank arm... hmmm :? :(
16.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

i have to cover the floor with a through down, as at this time I dont have a garage, and it is dark out :cry: :wink: 8)
23.jpg

i think I see brass or copper welds under the paint... hmmm
22.jpg

well im eager to get back to it... errrr :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

looks like me cwc frame mines is pre war about early 40's but its all skip tooth drive train.... looks good and show them brazed joint ..thats always cool to see.... im tuned in to this one...

Wildcat said:
Mine is a CWC late 46/early 47 and the serial starts with J also.

thats what I hear.. I also heard it dates it to 40s also due to the fact it has 1 letter and 5 numbers, instead of 1 letter than 6 numbers... dont know if its true but thats what I hear.. :lol: i love it

1speedJam1982 said:
Wildcat said:

thats what I hear.. I also heard it dates it to 40s also due to the fact it has 1 letter and 5 numbers, instead of 1 letter than 6 numbers... dont know if its true but thats what I hear.. :lol: i love it

Cwc used rear facing dropouts through 1954. All of there serial numbers started with a letter followed by 5 numbers. I think you are thinking about schwinn serial numbers.

ratina said:
Cwc used rear facing dropouts through 1954. All of there serial numbers started with a letter followed by 5 numbers. I think you are thinking about schwinn serial numbers.

That's interesting, I learned something new.

ratina said:
1speedJam1982 said:
Wildcat said:

do you have an idea of what year it is ratina??

ruddigger said:
ratina said:

That's interesting, I learned something new.

I learn something new evey day on this forum. I love it :wink:

The bike is a Cleveland Welding built bike but the “J” serial number, taken by itself, does not fully date the bike as CWC repeated many of their serial number sequences more than once.

To accurately date the bike, the frame features must also be examined.

The frame pattern is a CWC design referred to by collectors today as the “3-Gill Frame” based on the number of louvers in the tank that was designed to fit this frame. CWC 3-Gills were manufactured between 1938 and the mid fifties and small design and production changes over that time separate the frames and the tanks into several different “series.” Along with the physical changes, the serial numbers follow patterns that help pin down the period that a given frame or tank could have been produced in.

The fact that your 3-Gill frame does not have integral drop stand ears marks it as a post 1942 frame. The earliest frames produced by CWC after bicycle production resumed (1944?) do not have drop stand ears but have full surround welds where the tubes mate to the rear toe plates. The next change (1945?) was to replace the surround weld with a spot weld, a production change that remained for the duration of 40’s and 50’s. The third change was to recurve the down tube to match the style of the new Luxury Liner frame. This change occurred around the end of 1946/early 1947.

Your bike has spot welded toe plates and the earlier shallow curve war 3-Gill; coupled with the “J” serial number I would date your bike to late summer/early fall 1946. Your bike is the first postwar “J” serialed 3-Gill that has turned up with the shallow down tube curve; by the end of that run of “J” serialed bikes, the down tube had been revised to the deeper curve design.

Two additional notes regarding this bike;

The 3-Gill frames have been named by collectors based on the tank that fits the frame but not all 3-Gills left the factory tank-equipped. This is especially true for the early postwar versions such as yours when steel allocations were still tight and manufacturers realized more profit constructing frames over tanks and other sheet metal accessories.

The second thing I noticed is that someone switched the original sprocket for a later Westfield/Columbia ½” sprocket, probably to convert to ½” drive after the 1” chain became harder to source. This bike would definitely have been originally equipped with a CWC pattern sprocket and a 1” pitch drive train.

so I got back to work today, sanding and paint... she seems to be coming to life.... :D

25.jpg

27.jpg

is this brass???

29.jpg

almost ready for paint

30.jpg

went with the new chalk board paint so my kids could write on it and I can wipe it off...or not :mrgreen:

40.jpg

41.jpg

and more to come soon

Im lovin it.... 8)

Back