Imtroducing: Rat-Ster!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't spend ALL my time admiring my junk. This is a project I picked up off CL for $25, along w/the famed $25 JC Higgins springer. It's a Columbia Sterling middleweight, pretty ugly and unremarkable. I had the urge to rebuild it as a rat even before I found this lovely site. I completely dismantled it, unlaced the rims, everything. It was also a goal of mine to use as much of the bike as possible, and use replacement parts that weren't pretty enough for a resto. The chrome was basically gone, and the paint wasn't patina-ey enough to leave as is. I sanded it all down w/an electric sander, sprayed w/rust converter and primer. Painted the frame & fork red, then a black topcoat. I'm sanding thru to show some red in spots, and gonna hit it w/some satin clear. Painted the rims red today, cleaned the spokes w/steel wool, and wiped 'em down with silver paint on a rag. This is a great technique for just about anything that's not perfect. The paint will stick to pits and rust. Since the bars were peeling badly, I cleaned up some old roadmaster bars and a Schwinn stamped stem. The crank was bent, so I had a 66 Schwinn crank that had the chrome worn off on both sides. Touched it up with some silver. I painted the sprocket with 'Metalcast' silver, which gives it a freshly sandblasted look. I also taped off the 'Sterling' decal on the chainguard to save it. It has neat art deco-looking letters. This morning I painted the Bendix letters on the brake arm red, as well as the headbadge which had faded. That was tricky! I have an old knobby 2.125 WW for the back, and a 1.75 for the front. I'll have to dig for it, but somewhere I have a Columbia tank which they used on men's and ladies bikes, that oughta spiff things up! It's basically a no-buck buildup, using what I have. This is the before shot. I'll take some in process pics during the week! ~Adam
ColumbiaSterling60s.jpg

Welcome Adam, nice to have you here.. Like your no buck build!!

It will be fun for you to do a complete build and you would be surprised how much of the old stuff you can reuse if you get real creative with it. Painted spokes ,to me are hard to work with when you put a rim back together. If you clean them they usually come back pretty good. I wish I could do just one project at a time and really concentrate on a bike. I usually am in the process of building a couple flippers to pay for the real ones I want. Take your time ...get creative ...Its the attention to detail that have produce some fantastic bikes here. Its in your mind and you can do it if you try. Think outside of the box ...aw heck forget the box and turn your imiagination loose. 8)

Back