in need of knowledge on this old beauty..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of you out there are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to vintage bikes. I found this at a garage sale several years ago and I can't seem to find any info on this particular bike. It's a 1940s or 1950s Silver King Coronet. I'm still not sure of the date of it. It was a steal of a buy ($5)!? Anyone out there have any info they can give me on her? I want to sell her, but not sure what she would be worth. She's crying for a new owner who has the ability to fix her up...
Any info is greatly appreciated!

2007_0725silverking0010.jpg

2007_0725silverking0006.jpg

2007_0725silverking0005.jpg

2007_0725silverking0003.jpg

2007_0725silverking0002.jpg

It's from the mid 50s, made by Monark. The rear rack is worth about 9 times what you paid for the whole thing, so you made out like a fat rat! I have a similar "Americana" model, I bought to build up a men's frame I have.
SUNP0001-3.jpg
~Adam

OK, as a complete bike to sell it has some minor issues - one incorrect grip, missing light, dents in chain guard/tank/front fender and it appears the sprocket and crank might have been painted silver. Without the springer and deep fenders that is common to the Super Deluxe models it doesn't have as much appeal. Also, it's a girls bike so the interest is much lower. Boys bikes naturally have a higher premium. So a figure of $100 would not be unreasonable. At this point you may have to choose what you want to happen to the bicycle. If you would like it to stay intact you may not get much for it but if you want to make the maximum amount of money you might consider parting it out. The rack IS worth 10 times what you paid for the entire bike. The wheels don't appear to have any corrosion on them (rare for these Monark wheels), nice chain guard, head badge, fork/trusses - all good parts. There should be a plate on the bottom of the crank housing with a Model # and a Serial # which you can use as reference to reveal the year of manufacture (Monark book). That's my objective point of view. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back