TRADITIONAL In the “Nick of Time Procrastination Maggot”

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
I found some pedals in my junk and just rebuilt them.
IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0427.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg

I have found some parts. I still have to dig through my junk to find tubes and tires (up overhead somewhere in my rafter shelves). I might have old track bars. I have a vintage celluloid covered mustache bar that I could use if I can’t find the drop bars. Most of my bars are also overhead in the rafters. I built the wheels 2 1/2 years ago. They have been in storage since last summer when I built a wood set for the bike these were originally on.
image.jpg

Maybe I’ll look for some more parts tomorrow or the next day. I’m going to look at 1900-1920 bike photos on the net for ideas. The slider stem is probably too new. I haven’t decided on the stem yet, I have 3 more possibilities in my junk. The frame is hanging somewhere up in my attic. I might also use another frame that I would have to buy, I’m not sure about that either. So the frame, seat post and stem are unknown at this late stage. If this doesn’t just bolt together and all parts fit then I won’t finish as I procrastinated too long for that.

Last edited:
Great parts to play with! Love the wheels, but especially dig that stem and saddle!

Another old bike surfacing in the U.P. I'm assuming the ice is out now and you have a short window of working outside before the black fly season begins? :wink1:

Cool vintage parts pile!

Those are some cool pedals! Do the wood rims take regular tires or do you need sew-ups?
Those are faux wood rims I made. Their aluminum. They’re covered in flexible epoxy and stained. I don’t recall exactly how I made them. I think I used many strips of brown paper that were soaked in flexible marine epoxy. Then I used epoxy wood, stained them and covered them with more flexible marine epoxy. It’s fixed gear so I don’t have to worry about pealing off the faux wood with brakes.

How the heck did you find this, let alone remember it? I didn’t even remember posting these.
I clicked on your name, which brought me to your "user page", which gives me the option to see all content posted by you, or all threads you've created. Then I scanned through all your threads until I tracked it down. They're super cool rims, people need to see the details

I’m trying to make a faux head clip type old fashioned headset. It’s raining and cold so I spent a few hours in my shop welding, grinding and filling. It’s not done yet. So much filling that my fingers had a spasm and seized up. I had to quit for the day as my fingers were about as useful as toes.
image.jpg

How the heck did you find this, let alone remember it? I didn’t even remember posting these.

I clicked on your name, which brought me to your "user page", which gives me the option to see all content posted by you, or all threads you've created. Then I scanned through all your threads until I tracked it down. They're super cool rims, people need to see the details

I use that filter method all the time tracking down old builds and such.

I’m trying to make a faux head clip type old fashioned headset. It’s raining and cold so I spent a few hours in my shop welding, grinding and filling. It’s not done yet. So much filling that my fingers had a spasm and seized up. I had to quit for the day as my fingers were about as useful as toes.View attachment 271717

Excellent cool work!
I can totally relate to hands and fingers cramping up. Especially when I hand sanded and polished my Silver frame for SaltHammer. It's almost like your thumb and first two fingers are stuck together and extended. Very strange feeling.

Excellent cool work!
I can totally relate to hands and fingers cramping up. Especially when I hand sanded and polished my Silver frame for SaltHammer. It's almost like your thumb and first two fingers are stuck together and extended. Very strange feeling.
That’s it, just like you described

Those are some cool pedals! Do the wood rims take regular tires or do you need sew-ups?
The pedals are old Raleigh 501 units. They used to be inexpensive, now they’re not. I have another set on an old BSA bicycle. I don’t remember when I got them. Like I said, I found them in my junk. One had no bearings, the dust caps were in another pile of my junk. The dust caps were probably form my pedals, why I took them off is a mystery. I was probably trying unsuccessfully to put the dust caps on another set of pedals. I was amazed, I didn’t realize they were from the Raleigh pedals. Anyway, everything is back home now. The replacement bearings came from an old headset.

Back