Indian Scout problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have a Indian 3 speed bike which I want to clean it. It is all brown rusty.
I made it all parts except the handle bars. The handle bars and the stem is one part. Is moving in the fork, rotate, but I cannot take it out. Any ideas why? I loose all the headset parts (I lost half of the ball bearings).
thanks, Marius

Don't look to be rust there. The stem is rotating easy in the fork. Is like something is inside the fork and keep it. Even the frame is completely rusty, all the screws untie easy. A lot of vaseline there.
The bike is 1953

Oh! Now I get it. Maybe the bottom nut from the stem is stuck, but not the stem itself?
I think Rockit has the right idea there. Is it possible to completely remove the bolt from the stem and try getting them out? If it is that may be the way to do it and then you can soak the wedge nut while still in the forks to free it up.

Hopefully it has not been done up too tight at some point and deformed the fork/stem tube, I had one where that happened and it took a huge amount of work to get it out and then had to throw the forks away anyway...

Luke.

Oh! Now I get it. Maybe the bottom nut from the stem is stuck, but not the stem itself?
I think you are right, thanks.
Now, what should I do?

One generally accepted approach is to back the long stem bolt out about 1/4 inch and then give it a good whack with a mallet. This drives the wedge down and away from the steerer tube, freeing them from each other. Beyond that, lots of lube, twisting, and patience.

I can not take it apart.
Dead project.

well, I have a Huffy Savanah frame, I will put the 3 speed Sturmey Archer wheels on it, fenders, some handlebars.
or maybe sell the wheels, the rear has a dyno hub
or maybe I will cut the fork and replace it with another one.
which one of these?

If it were me, I would cut the stem bolt. Then pull the stem, and drop the fork. That way I could get a good, clean look at it and try to figure out what's happening down there.

This can be fairly simple, I've been there before.

Remove the stem bolt and spray penetrating oil down the hole, and spray some up through the fender bolt hole in the fork, if there is one.
Spray it generously every day for AT LEAST three days, letting it sit.

After the three or so days, screw the stem bolt partway back down into the wedge, but leave about 20mm of the bolt sticking out of the stem.
Secure the bike in a repair stand, or brace it on the ground. Then, you get a piece of wood- one of my most popular tools is a 7" long piece of a 2x4 board. Set the broad, flat side of the board on top of the bolt head and give it several sharp smacks with a mallet or hammer, until the bolt starts going down into the stem hole.
However, if the stem bolt is rusty I'd replace it first. Otherwise it may just break off inside the steer tube when you hammer on it.
That should break the wedge free. Whether or not it does, this next maneuver should get everything apart nicely.

Now, to back the stem/handlebars out of the steer tube, you're going to take the same piece of wood and, facing the front of the bike, put the board longways up under the "chin" of the stem. Then hammer on the other end of the board like its a chisel, driving the stem up and out of the tube.

The board should protect all the parts and their finish from any damage, and I've done this with multiple rusty old bikes with perfect results.

Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back