Indian

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here is my latest pick, I am super exceited about this one! What you see is what I got but I have a front wheel on the way. So now all I'm looking for is the bars and drop stand. Anyone have what I need? The bike is in surprisingly nice shape, paint is good and with the exception of the wheel the chrome is nice too. Check out the half of the chain ring that I wipped down with WD40. The guy I got it from says he found it in the attic of his mid 1800's home. I think it's a 1924 model 151-T. If anyone knows anything about Indian bikes let me know, I would love to hear.
IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

IMG_7325.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

Sweet find! :D Always wanted a motorcyle company made bicyle...Indian, Harley-Davidson, Triumph, or BSA :mrgreen:

Thanks for the positive comments!
Anyone have any tips on "polishing" the paint? Generally I just use a car polish or maybe a compound if it's really bad but I wanted to see if there is a better way.

Congrats on a very cool bike! I'll have your wheel sent out tomorrow.

What a fantastic bike!
That paintwork should come up a treat with the right compound! And amazing how the sprocket came up with a spray of WD40!

Are there any other Indians out there? Let's see some pictures! I would really like to get a good picture of the original drop stand.

OK Adam, Ask & ye shall receive, "eventually".

Here is the 1928 Indian Bicycles catalog and I believe this is your bike. I've been doing some research on these and do not believe the catalog you saw online is a 1924 catalog. I just purchased this & a LONG TIME Indian collector had written 1928 on the cover which I believe is correct as this is the year Westfield started painting bikes with white steering heads & white darts. Also the form number is "Form 18--5-28-10M J.H.B." which leads me to believe it was published in 1928. It is definitely Westfield made, now have documentation Indians were made by Westfield starting in 1916, not by Hendee Mfg. Hendee Mfg & subsequently Indian Motorcycle Co. had Westfield manufacture these for them. Have proof of that from 1916. Anyway yours is the Motobike Model 151. I have a feeling yours could have been manufactured between 1928 to 1931 and all years probably had minor variations but have no data to support that yet, it is just based on similar Columbia models. I also provided the 151-T Electrically Equipped model page so you could see it as well.

Hope this helps you in your search for parts to know what's correct. I can't wait to see what to me is the greatest motorbike of all time back on the road. I truly think you are just looking for common Westfield/Columbia components to restore it not some of the more exotic earlier Indian items which had been phased out by 1928 if you look at the pics and descriptions.

Latest posts

Back