Industrial bike chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a thick heavy duty industrial style bike chain. Anyone know where I can get one?

Yup, garage door opener chain. Then to the bmx crowd for heavy duty, or even different pitch monster chain.

Wipperman IG8 grinding chain made for BMX. Wicked wicked chain, and very hard to find now.

I'm looking for a thick heavy duty industrial style bike chain. Anyone know where I can get one?
Depends on what you mean by "industrial-style".

If you want something that can still run on regular bicycle sprockets, then you would be limited to half-inch pitch chain.

Standard single-speed bicycle chain has a rated breaking strength of somewhere around 900 lbs. There is no ANSI number for it.
ANSI #40 and #41 are half-inch pitch (the same as normal bicycle chain) but not significantly stronger than bicycle chain. Maybe 1100 lbs.

Bicycle chain has rollers 3/16" wide, #41 has rollers 1/4" wide and #40 has rollers 5/16" wide. The side plates of the wider ANSI chains are also slightly thicker than bicycle chain, which is why they have a slightly higher rating.

Multi-speed bicycle chain uses rollers even narrower than 3/16", and thinner sideplates. So that would be even weaker.

And, really, it's all overbuilt for JRA applications. Unless you're grinding, if you're breaking chains, you're set up wrong. Aside from casualties of grinding, chains die from stretching, not breaking.

Iv'e used go kart chains, really wide 1/2 pitch and very heavy duty. Cool looking' on
a bike

Back