Input on first build off bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I have it narrowed down to 2 frames for the wbo. I'd like thoughts on which frame you would go with. Interestingly enough I brought them both from the same guy this summer for a song.

19dd269a76cafec753d8e4cd3f1988a4.jpg

The first one is a 30s Colson very rusty. I do have the fork. When researching the year of this bike I found that it was originally sold by a member here (unchained) in 2008.
7388391e0bd01a30cfc9a07d291a0c69.jpg

075d884a86a6f584da3935fa195a917b.jpg

The Second 50s straight bar. Also nice and crusty.
ac4fd57468df110e15741c20fbc6d465.jpg

0f68061d05060f706f3a1172238df3e0.jpg

This is my first build and I've got ideas for both frames.....I am so pumped for my first buildoff, I actually considered building two, but came to my senses. Input/advice from the experts would be appreciated.
Hoek

I personally prefer the lines of the straightbar, but I have seen some awesome builds with old camelback frames too (check out @ifitsfreeitsforme 's Berkshire from BONINE).

I think you'll have more competition from other builders with the same frame if you use the straightbar, but it's also a real crowd-pleasin' frame, that's bound to build up into something nice.

The Colson will have the added benefit of being unique, especially being that it appears to be made for 28" wheels. You could build up something very stately and impressive with that. Either frame can be built into a hott bike, but I suspect that whatever you build with the Colson will stand out from the crowd more.

So, for now, i'd say that either makes a fine choice, but i might lean one way or another if i knew what you were planning....

I like the Colson for the unique looking top tube and I think those rear dropouts are super cool. I know absolutely nothing about antique bikes though.

depends on what parts you will use & wich frame will look good
they both could make a good bmx / klunker or watever it is you are into

The straightbar would likely be called "Fence Line" and be dressed in a homemade tank, period correct schwinn bits.... skip tooth and a few other surprises. Patman, I was actually thinking that a bmx/clunker would be cool on the Colson the name I was leaning toward was "Breaking Rad" but I'm not sure if anodized and gears on a 30s Colson is going to float my boat, I have a 60s Corvette that would maybe be a better option due to breaking concerns. Otherwise something along this line.
d71ada7e50e46805570e1c798d975193.jpg

Input from Experts? Heck you are an expert too. Build it the way you want to. The way you see it. That way you will always be happy with it. Ultimately you are the one who needs to be happy with it. That way you automatically WIN. Just have fun with it. They are both great frames.

I say to heck with the sense, sense the love of both and build em! Crunch Time!:thumbsup:

Being that it's your first build-off, I'd say go with the one that you have the most or best parts ready to use. You will be surprised by how quickly the finish line arrives. Try not to get overly ambitious and stay on task. They're both cool frames and if you stick with it, you'll build them both anyway.

I do not have a drop stand or tank for the Colson. I have most everything else I would need for a fairly period correct piece. I'm going to check into wheel sizing options for the Colson tomorrow after the Packer game and then I need to makeup my mind. I'm wasting time waffling!

Back