interchangeability question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, love what your all doing here with your bikes, some awesome builds going on. i just have a quick newbie question for you, figure i'd get it out of the way early and you would know where i was coming from.

i recently slapped together an old stingray of mine using fastback, bantam and a front fork/stem set up from a bmx bike. its by no means finished, but at least now its rideable.

downsized_0704121921.jpg

i was just curious how many of you have used or tried using the rear wheel from a new occ chopper bicycle. i dont have one to mock up so i can only speculate it wont fit but i was wondering what needs to be done or if my only option is cutting and re-welding?

i only ask because i can get a full bike on the relativly-cheap but don't need more metal sitting around if i cant use any parts off of it.

thank you!

It's not quite that simple, you need to make sure the chain line will line up too. The OCC had a wider crank to compensate for this. Easiest way is to chop off the whole bottom end of the chopper and put your frame on it like the stingray that DR. Tankenstein made.

PC201313.jpg

alright that makes total sense, i assume the cranks will also need modifying to be swapped over? correct me if im wrong but i doubt the occ uses a one piece.. i have seen a conversion kit somewhere if memory serves to make the old one-piece bikes accept three-piece cranks thou if anyone can jog my memory on the subject

ape hanging said:
alright that makes total sense, i assume the cranks will also need modifying to be swapped over? correct me if im wrong but i doubt the occ uses a one piece.. i have seen a conversion kit somewhere if memory serves to make the old one-piece bikes accept three-piece cranks thou if anyone can jog my memory on the subject

Either that or the rear will not be in line with the front and it will not track properly.

cool thanks for the info, i guess chopping it up would be my best bet, maybe ill throw the fastback frame onto the chopper, i want to keep the stingray whole. thanks again thou!

Back