TRADITIONAL Iron & Oxygen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you post your longer videos? Sorry if it's posted on here somewhere - but my video was 30 seconds and it said it was too long.

Yep, like others have said, Youtube is the way to go. I use the free mode, not the Premium. I have had my channel since Oct 2012. Wow. I just checked,and my channel has had 43,073 views! Pretty much all bike / RRB or live music performances.

A game changer- as far as my approach to this build and the amount of "faux-tina-ing" I'll have to do, arrived yesterday (6/3) via my buddy from The CABE,
fresh from California.
IMG20240603171514.jpg

What is it the kids say these days? Oh, I remember .... "wait for it"

A gorgeous set of natural patina DX fenders from a 1941... worth every cent I probably overpaid for them :)
My original thought is to hit them with some 0000 steel wool and WD40 to try and get a little color back.
I'd also like to remove the reflective tape, so popular in the 50s, but not sure what surprises await beneath the tape.
IMG20240603221823.jpg

IMG20240603221518.jpg

The chainguard will definitely be an area of having to make match with "faux-tina" still - unless I strike gold again.
IMG20240603221435.jpg

Like I mentioned at the onset of this build-off ... I was going to build this bike anyway, so I might as well hang out with friends while doing so and see what you all have brewing.
I realize it's really not in the parameters of what we normally do here - as much as I want this bike to be on the road and to have another shot of surviving another 80+ years. I'm pretty stoked to have found these fenders.
IMG20240603221600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240603221651.jpg
    IMG20240603221651.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 0
Great score for your build! Those already fit is so well.

If you use the current chain guard, it would take well to the Satin Strawflower / Satin Cinnamon / Satin Espresso treatment! It has a great base color to start with.

cartoon spray can.jpg

If you use the current chain guard, it would take well to the Satin Strawflower / Satin Cinnamon / Satin Espresso treatment! It has a great base color to start with.

View attachment 268391
Thank you for the tips. I'm definitely going to use your advice but am going to shoot a burgundy base - same paint I used on the hoops. I currently have all the colors you suggest with the exception of the strawflower.

I really noticed great progress in the color coming back EARLY this morning (4am ... can't wait to see our security cam videos) so I've decided everyone gets a bath! Not sure, with it being a red base how long I should leave it in.
I put the remaining parts in at 8:30 am before leaving for work. I may make a trip home to check on them.
IMG20240605082623.jpg

Thank you for the tips. I'm definitely going to use your advice but am going to shoot a burgundy base - same paint I used on the hoops. I currently have all the colors you suggest with the exception of the strawflower.

Great idea on the burgundy base to match! 😍
I think the Strawflower might be discontinued. Couldn't find it at HD, Menards, or Ace Hardware. There is a seller on Amazon that has it though, got mine in 2 days.

I highly rec this as a 'final fade'. Really does the trick!

Screenshot_20240605_102959_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Trying an acid bath on the worst of the frame and a little WD40 on the fenders and an Old Style for me.
View attachment 268356
View attachment 268357
Good find on those fenders. I've had great results with the oa bath. Except that one time i left a tank in for about 8 hours to long. Didn't work out so well. Looking forward to how you remove that reflective tape.

Good find on those fenders. I've had great results with the oa bath. Except that one time i left a tank in for about 8 hours to long. Didn't work out so well. Looking forward to how you remove that reflective tape.
I'll shoot a photo later and post it. I used a hair dryer and a plastic pallet scraper used for removing vinyl lettering. As I expected, nearly new 80 year old paint beneath!

Awesome that you found the fenders! It looks great!

Keep a close eye on the OA bath. If you leave it too long it will sometimes leave a yellow film on everything that is very difficult to remove.
Found that out the hard way. You cant go back from there.

Did you color match the burgundy or luck up and buy it off the shelf? Looks like a good match.
Mostly luck ... I bought all 3 colors of burgundy that they had. None were perfect but the aging process with the shades of browns and cinnamon hide that it's not a perfect color match, I think.

Back