is it a crime...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't quite what you're asking but I'll tell you this... I never would have thought about leaving a bike in rust or really bad paint. I have always repainted/coated mine. When a friend first did this bike I didn't care for it...
la_salle1.jpg

It eventually started to grow on me. Now after seeing this rat-rod look even more on this website I'm really liking it. Don't know that I'll ever get to do a bike like this as I have so many other ideas I want to try and no place to put these bikes as it is.

You CAN"T buy Patina!

..well...I guess if you look at what I did to the Forks,
you CAN buy Patina :lol:
on that note,I like my moving parts to be Rust Free.

....don't get me wrong, I am a Journeyman / Decorator ( 18 years )..
and my Dad is a Journeyman Automotive Painter( 45 years )
so I LOVE a great paint Job...but i really LOVE the stock Patina that
only time can give to a Car or a Bike!

and you can't buy that!

just my 2 cents

I agree with kev and hooch. If i bike has rust on the chrome and is salvageable, i will save it, But if its so far gone i will leave it as is or paint it, I love shiny chrome!

Not a big fan of rust here. Maybe that's my anal side, but I prefer polished metal(a.k.a. Coronado's bike I think) or a nice paint job(a.k.a. Locojoes bikes). As was mentioned in another thread, I'm a sucker for painted rims as well.

(How many flips will appear when I click submit?)

its a soso for me but i prefer flat black or semigloss black the purple people eater being the exeption byt even that sucker is gonna be matte purple(custom mixed housepaint) :D

It's not a crime to remove rust. It's probably a crime to pay out the wazoo for NOS chrome parts, or worse to have parts rechromed.

The line is probably drawn where the rust inhibits function, beyond that it's a personal call.

RUST OR NOT TO RUST

Here my version of: RUST OR NOT TO RUST

IMG_0012A.jpg

IMG_0010A.jpg

the only parts to clean on a rat rod are the chain and bearings. let mother nature do the rest.

krazi

Re: RUST OR NOT TO RUST

outsider13 said:

IMG_0012A.jpg

IMG_0010A.jpg

Same here i dont mess with frame but i do the rest .b

I think patina should be left. I was originally going to paint this Rust Primer but you guys talk me out of it. Boy am I glad.

DSCF3709.jpg

If you notice I picked up a "new" seat for it. $5 at the Seattle Swap. Oops did I just say Seattle-sorry Kev, it was last minute. Flew up last minute to spend some time with my brother. He needed a pick me up.

DSCF3704.jpg

He is fine just having tiring time being a single parent. The Swap was fun, first one for me. I almost bought a 32 Schwinn DX frame but decided not to. The rust on a few of the bikes might of got worse as drooled over them.

new_dharma said:
outsider13 said:

Chain Slack! :D

Thats right :!: when I'm cruising the beach I SLACK, I have enough TENSION in life, Don't need any while riding 8)

outsider13 said:
Thats right :!: when I'm cruising the beach I SLACK, I have enough TENSION in life, Don't need any while riding 8)

Beautiful attitude. Perfection in life doesn't need to happen everyday

Back