Is it a schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently bought a very small camelback frame (about a 17 in seat tube). It fits 26 in wheels but the tires can only be around 1.75. It has an integrated seat clamp on the seat stays like the old rollfasts and has a thru axel designed fork. The badge rivet holes are very far apart and looks like they fit a schwinn badge. The serial number stamped on it is A225. Any ideas on what I have?? :D :D

SU1HMDA2NDQtMjAxMTEyMTAtMTM0OS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDA2NDMtMjAxMTEyMTAtMTM0OS5qcGc.jpg

If it's a Schwinn, it's an early one. The rear drop outs with the threaded adjusters would make it prewar, I think. And any postwar camelback I've seen have a more graceful curve in the top tube. But it does look a bit like this, fork and all:
1917_16.jpg

1917_15.jpg

Images from http://www.trfindley.com. I can't tell from the print, though, if that says 26" or 28" wheels and tires. Also:

1917x_17.jpg

1917x_16.jpg

This one is easier to read, and clearly says 28". These images are from the 1917 catalog, but it appears that the same basic designs were produced up into the '30s. It looks like later models offered 24" and 26" wheels. Anyway, could be one of those, but it could be something else entirely...

The fork axle holes were standard with most brands until the early 30s. Definitely late 20s-early 30s era but with the really short headtube, it looks like it could have been Westfield or DP Harris built. Maybe a 24" Elgin or Rollfast?

The weirdest thing is that the top cross brace between the seat stays does not have a hole going through it to bolt the fender. Could this be one of the biggest tell tales about what this thing actually is? It does not fit 28's I put 700's in it to see clearance and they almost hit the fender mount area. I need some wheels for this thing badly! :( :( :(

Back