Is it possible to make my lether seat darker ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi .
I would love to make my seat look dark brown instead of baige/ogrange color , any have a trick for that ?
my seat
mQRuZL7lbeFhKz2_a5dKR7A.jpg

desired color
Leather_bicycle_saddle.jpg_250x250.jpg

thanks!

Try leather die, but if the leather is sealed with a leather sealer it may not work. If you have a fax leater, vinyl. Head to your auto paint supplier an get your favorite color of SEM paint and change the color for around $12.

:p :mrgreen:

Brown_Sharpie_Pen.jpg

kingfish254 said:
:p :mrgreen:

Brown_Sharpie_Pen.jpg
thats a plan to have skid marks on my jeans ..try it 1st :lol:

You have to strip the surface of any sealer, waxes and oil. IF you can find anyplace like a real shoe repair or leather dye supply they have strippers for just such. I have used laquer thinner in the past. Start out with a good wash with mild soapy hotish water, let it dry a bit, then put on some rubber gloves and use the L.T. on a cloth to rub & lightly scrub. Repeat as needed, maybe over the course of several days as you want to be really sure you are bringing those oils up & out and getting them absorbed by the rest of the dry cloth.
Make Double Sure you dispose of those L.T. rags properly!!!
Let it sit and dry a day before re-dying. If you havent cleaned the pores out well enough the dye will go on spotty. That means return to the L.T. Be aware that once re-oiled the finish will be darker than the dye you choose, so choose color with care.
Once you get the dye top take and the color you want, let it dry in well and start to retreat the oils (I use PURE Neatsfoot Oil and 'seal' with a beeswax topcoat, buffed).
BTW, I saw an online video where the guy put his saddle in an oven on LOW to warm the leather to re-oil it. BAD, BAD, BAD; cookies go in and oven, and roasts, etc. NEVER leather.

Is it leather?I'm rockin the same seat and thought it was vinyl,but I could be wrong.Great seat though,and you can't complain about the price.Good luck and post the apres pics.

gcrank1 said:
You have to strip the surface of any sealer, waxes and oil. IF you can find anyplace like a real shoe repair or leather dye supply they have strippers for just such. I have used laquer thinner in the past. Start out with a good wash with mild soapy hotish water, let it dry a bit, then put on some rubber gloves and use the L.T. on a cloth to rub & lightly scrub. Repeat as needed, maybe over the course of several days as you want to be really sure you are bringing those oils up & out and getting them absorbed by the rest of the dry cloth.
Make Double Sure you dispose of those L.T. rags properly!!!
Let it sit and dry a day before re-dying. If you havent cleaned the pores out well enough the dye will go on spotty. That means return to the L.T. Be aware that once re-oiled the finish will be darker than the dye you choose, so choose color with care.
Once you get the dye top take and the color you want, let it dry in well and start to retreat the oils (I use PURE Neatsfoot Oil and 'seal' with a beeswax topcoat, buffed).
BTW, I saw an online video where the guy put his saddle in an oven on LOW to warm the leather to re-oil it. BAD, BAD, BAD; cookies go in and oven, and roasts, etc. NEVER leather.
Thanks! :D

JJBones said:
Is it leather?I'm rockin the same seat and thought it was vinyl,but I could be wrong.Great seat though,and you can't complain about the price.Good luck and post the apres pics.
well it looked like real lether when i tryed to sand one letter off... humm :roll: i will have to double check that

OneHorsePower said:
it is sealed , but i wonder if i sand it ,will it ruin it ?
i heard those paint are not very durable

Oh ya, I have done 5 car interiors and not a problem at all. Been 10 years or so.

I have an Electra seat bag(pleather?) that started about that color, used some Kiwi brand black Scuff Cover to darken it up, their leather dye would likely work too but the scuff cover I figured would give me more control. Rubbed it in slowly with a rag, think I rubbed some mink oil in to start to slow the uptake but it's been a couple of years.

seatbag.jpg

EDIT: The color it started out as, I was attempting to match the aged leather on that long springer.

378638_LG.jpg

that came out great! is that like shoe polish ? like a wax? , if yes , ive been told it would be a bad idea for a seat , that i would end up with brown crouch :?
i would need to seal it in some kind of way but idk what could work over wax

It comes in a plastic bottle with a sponge applicator tip it's a liquid not wax, this is the stuff
http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/leather/scuff-cover.html

They have leather dye with the same packaging probably less chance of wearing off, but it only comes in black probably better to start with a brown scuff cover color, all I could find at the time was black at agrocery store. Find some shoe place you'll have better luck with selection.

Latest posts

Back