Is it what I think it is?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am at the local junk yard dropping some junk frames and see this BMX bike which I beleive is a Wal-Mart product with bad mismatched wheels and I pass on it. Two trips and two weeks later I notice that the lonely bike is still there lying in a pile of gutters and scrap iron and I look closer and see the three piece cranks. I think, I'll take it home and maybe use the cranks on a Buzz Bike that I am putting together for my son. I hang it in the garage and pay no attention. A week later I'm looking on RRB and click an ebay link. Then I notice a frame that looks just like mine. Could this really be a P.K. Ripper? By the way, the salvage yard let me have it for the VW engine tin and cylinders that I dropped off at the salvage yard.
P1010052.jpg

We need a scrapyard like that around here because you definitely scored.

You might want to try and safely strip the black spraybomb. That looks like OG Red. Fairly Rare Color.

Good luck

I found the PK serial number, there are no stampings on the forks and no markings on the cranks. I am going to sell it. Do I strip it down or sell it as is? The chain ring, which is worn, has a GT logo on it.

With a bike in this kind of shape you'd be better off IDing everything first and then parting it out. The guys at BMX Museum should be able to help you figure out what it all is.

One glance and I knew it was a PK.

Those cranks came on Diamondback Formula Ones and should be Sugino chromoly.

You need to do a serial number check to see what year this is. The earlier the better. I'm gonna just guess it's an '82-'85.

Thing is, that's a very early stem which could date back to the late '70s and if it is original to the bike that means you could have a very very early PK. The cranks are from 1984 and to the best of my knowledge, Landing Gear forks didn't start appearing on SE bikes until the '80s.

I'm not an expert on PKs, as I can only tell you what era they are from, but you certainly have a bike there worthy of a lengthy investigation.

It's probably '82-'85

Latest posts

Back