Is there a Proper Way to Install Truss Rods?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 1948 CWC Roadmaster that I'm in the process of finishing up. The bike has its original truss rods and I'm curious if there is a proper was to install and tighten the rods? Should they have a certain amount of tension? This is the first bike I've restored that has them so, I have no experience with them.

Thanks for any insight.

Put the truss rods on top and bottom. Tighten the axle nuts first, keeping your front wheel aligned between the forks. Tighten the top of the truss rods. Gary

Come on that's way to simple. :lol:
SORCERER

Keep it all straight while you tighten up, like he said. They work by adding another flexing rod to counteract the forward flexing of the fork legs as you go over bumps. A soft riding front fork can become stiffer through the use of them, which may suit you or not, but regardless you will look way more cool 8) , RatRods are all about cool.
BTW, I think I would rather have a truss rod fork over my triple-tree chrome straightlegger on my Dyno Deuce. That is one strong, but rough rider, so yours will likely ride better than mine.

Back