Is this a rat rod?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was in the Wall Street Journal this week, a trike in China.

Chinese-trike.jpg

The Chinese has been using those types of bicycles since their revolution. The land and industry was destroyed during the 40's. So, they made simple transportation with the bike, horse and farm tractors. The history of bicycles in China in the 50's and 60's might match the history of bicycles in England and the States in the in the 1890's to the 1930's. Each city had their own bicycle factory and brewery along with other with other products.I saw bicycles like that since my first trip to China in 1992. It was in 1998 when I went back there for the 4th time That I noticed more cars and mobile phones that I knew that China was changing for the worst.
A bicycle like that probably has been rebuilt a few times, the parts under the bottom bracket is part of the "belt on the disk on the rear axle" braking system. His feet might be on pegs where his small children would put their feet on and sit on the top tube. Some bicycle like this have beefed up frames to carry a few hundred pounds.
The bicycles they make now for import are crap. While this bike might put a Working Bike to shame.

Back