Is this Schwinn Cruiser SS a old bike or repop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of a Cruiser SS till I read this CL ad today. Did they make this bike in the 50's or 60's he says it is old in his ad. If it is old it looks good for it's age and I want to buy it.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/1759366508.html
SchwinnCruiserSS.jpg

SchwinnCruiserSS1.jpg

SchwinnCruiserSS2.jpg

SchwinnCruiserSS3.jpg

Hey T, easiest way to tell if it's an old Schwinn is look at the headtube, if the top and down tubes going into it are fluted(like a trumpet), it's old. Chicago style.

The forks are also a giveaway. Chicago Schwinns have the solid blade forks. I've seen way too many bike ads claiming to be 50's or 60's without anything to back them up, and I know they aren't anywhere near that old. Must be a new fad, because I see it everyday here on CL. Schwinns are fairly easy to date, others are nearly impossible. There's one guy here in Jax that keeps dating his bikes in the 50's and 60's when they are clearly are 70's and 80's, but most people looking for a classic cruiser don't know that. I think he does, just cashing in.

That bike could be from the late 90's to early 2000's, the chain guard being another giveaway.

This guy is referring to that Schwinn as "old-school", which he probably meant to describe the style more than the age. $100 for a 6-year old bike shop Schwinn in good shape is probably not a bad price. I'd rather spend a hundred on that than $84 on a brand new Wal-Mart Huffy.

easy way to tell is the frame will be welded at the headtube,canti bars,and b.b.(the old ones are brazed not welded) the chain guard plate is about 3/4" tall the older ones are alot smaller.the serial # will be stamped on the b.b. but has way more #'s than the originals, also as ccr said the badge isnt screwed on its taped(and doesnt have holes for the screws),and the chain guard is a totally different shape than the original feather ones.

i don't think i'd even call it a repop since it doesn't really mimic a certain bike. it's just a nice looking used late model cruiser :D

Bendix said:
i don't think i'd even call it a repop since it doesn't really mimic a certain bike. it's just a nice looking used late model cruiser :D

its easy to get caught up calling them repops, but i agree, its just a new(er) model schwinn cruiser, kind of like how Wald has been making the exact same fenders for 50+ years, not really repop fenders, just new ones :mrgreen:

Back