Is this truly a WWII-era bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am eyeing this bike on Craigslist. Its seller says it is a war era Western Flyer.

I think I want it. :)

I know there are some brilliant bike experts here who can tell, blindfolded, if this bike is what he says it is!

Not the best pictures, I'm sorry.

3nd3o33leZZZZZZZZZ93a124a0b45c8a11922.jpg

3k83pe3laZZZZZZZZZ93a77f5854280ab12d7.jpg

3k33p83l7ZZZZZZZZZ93ac5d115337f7b1056.jpg

I would say pre-war. Rear facing rear wheel dropouts w/a tension screws and the skiptooth/1" pitch drivetrain(chain/sprockets) point to this. I can't tell you much more than looks like a great bike.

A lot of wartime bikes had no chrome, they just painted all of the parts black. That bike might be the real deal, but I don't think I'd pay a whole lot of money for it.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
oh ya, you need that bike!
:lol: Do I need it so badly that I would spend my entire Sunday driving to Kansas and back for it? (13 hours).

I'm really really attracted to it. He wants $150. Sound fair, necessaryevil, in your opinion? I'd probably try to talk him into $225 shipped...if he could have it shipped RIGHT...otherwise I'd just go get it.

Noob minds want to know....what are rear dropouts? :oops:

There's no way I'd drive 13 hours to pick up a bike :shock: Maybe if he would do $200 shipped, but that's just me. I'm spoiled here in Ohio, not sure how the supply of old bikes is in Missouri.

The bike is a Huffman built model. Huffman was government authorized to continue bicycle production during the war years. In lieu of chrome many bicycle components produced during this time had black parkerized parts. The finish is matte black but is an industrial finish that is much harder than paint. Some early postwar bikes were equipped with these parts until the stocks dried up.

The rear dropouts are the slotted sheet steel plates that are welded to the back end of the frame accept the rear wheel axel. Most Pre-WW2 frames have slots opening to the rear of the bicycle. After WW2 many companies changed to dropouts with a slot opening toward the front of the bike. While some companies made the change immediately following the war many others continued to use rear facing drops (and 1” pitch chain into the early to mid 50’s)

Huffman continued to use rear facing drop outs into the 50’s. The CL bike has the pattern with the trapped nut for the adjuster screws that were produced from perhaps sometime in 1945/46 through 1947. Prewar Huffman drops are similar but are threaded and do not have the trapped square nut for the adjusters.

From the above it can be concluded that the bike might have been made before the war ended but more likely is early postwar.

As far as price, I think the seller’s asking price is reasonable. The bike isn’t an extremely valuable bike so I think anywhere between $100 and $200 is market correct. The main thing is how much you like this bike and how much you like a road trip.

where are you driving from? there could be a way to get it to you without shipping depending on where your from!!!

jon said:
where are you driving from? there could be a way to get it to you without shipping depending on where your from!!!

St. Louis.

I'm SO OPEN to ideas to save me from a Kansas roadtrip. I'd do it - I am having a hard time finding a great bike that's closer - but if the seller says it's too much of a pain to ship, what should I do?

rms37, wow. Thanks for your time and knowledgeable input! Prewar, postwar, wartime....it's all OK with me, I love the whole .... decade. :D

Maybe its just a stereotype but I thought all the cool bikes are still in the heartland laying around barns, :lol: just like since I am in California we have an earthquake every ten minutes and all of are homes are equipt with floatation devices for when the state falls in the ocean........seriously it seems like you could find something a little closer but if not and you could get it for $200 shipped go for it.

If someone brought it from KS to KC, I can get someone to take it as far east as Columbia, but there has to be at least one person coming from St. Louis to the Peddler's swap.

thats a 13 hr round trip not one way! if i knew i was going to st louis i would take it. we have family there. like skoda said it could work out to your advantage to maybe go to the swap meet in independence mo. and pick it up there + take home other old bikes!! just a thought.

jon said:
also, where in kansas is it? forgot to ask?

Lyons. The seller's ad says they can get it to Wichita though and it was in Wichita CL.

This could be a bicycle relay race, we have friends in wichita that might be comming to the swap meet. dont know which would be cheaper all the beer your going to be buying the guys involved in the moving of the bike or just pay the shipping... :lol: :shock:

jon said:
This could be a bicycle relay race, we have friends in wichita that might be comming to the swap meet. dont know which would be cheaper all the beer your going to be buying the guys involved in the moving of the bike or just pay the shipping... :lol: :shock:

Exactly!! :lol: When I talk to the seller we'll see what he says. If I can twist his arm to ship it to me for $200 I can spare a lot of people their participation in this goose chase. ;)

Well...

I think I've found my bike. From someone right here on the forum. Figures! I'm going to purchase that lovably goofy rat rod "hotfoot" is selling. If it hasn't been snatched up yet. :D

Latest posts

Back