Is Your Bike Safe ? Will It Pass The Test ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My daughter went to a fall fest at a local church that had a bike rodeo put on by the the C H P , she got a free helmet , and she actually needed one that fit a little better than the Barbie special, the handed out these coloring books and here's the test on the back. Sadly I ripped of most of my reflectors.....the rebel in me, and tires with no cracks ? how is that vintage :lol:
101_9250.jpg

I'd say the majority of rodders will fail for:
1. seat height violation :lol:
2. lack of reflectors
3. lack of chainguard

:lol:

Handlebars properly adjusted...............Upside-down............................................ No
Pedals.....................they scrape the ground when I turn so.................................. No
Brakes properly adjusted......What brakes?........................................................... No
Lights good condition.......Ummmm rusty, dim, cracked lens .................................. No
Reflectors................It looks better without them............................................... No
Seat adjusted properly...................it looks better slammed...................................No
chain protector.....you mean that plastic packaging? It got tossed the first day........ No
wheels no broken spokes.......................I think I'm missing a few.......................... No
Tires...............no cracks............LOL.......Ride 'em till they blow.......................... No

Our bikes fail with flying colors. :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
Handlebars properly adjusted...............Upside-down............................................ No
Pedals.....................they scrape the ground when I turn so.................................. No
Brakes properly adjusted......What brakes?........................................................... No
Lights good condition.......Ummmm rusty, dim, cracked lens .................................. No
Reflectors................It looks better without them............................................... No
Seat adjusted properly...................it looks better slammed...................................No
chain protector.....you mean that plastic packaging? It got tossed the first day........ No
wheels no broken spokes.......................I think I'm missing a few.......................... No
Tires...............no cracks............LOL.......Ride 'em till they blow.......................... No

Our bikes fail with flying colors. :mrgreen:
PERFECT!!!!

Reflectors...NO
Seat height adjusted correctly...NO
Headlight...yeah but it's just for looks...so NO
Pedals...hit the ground...NO
Handlebars...NOPE...upside down is wrong apparently
Wheels...a little bent but they work....so NO
Brakes...you have to slow down a lot earlier(old)....NO
Tires...cracked and "patina"...NO

I figured I'd make one for myself like outskirts...

I failed :mrgreen:

don't ever think I have seen a guard on a road bike. glad they don't give out tickets.lol

Outlaw :)

OUTLAW said:
don't ever think I have seen a guard on a road bike. glad they don't give out tickets.lol

Outlaw :)

Most road bikes I have seen have either a plastic or aluminum ring around the front sprocket. Most I have owned are missing... :mrgreen:

I was doing fine 'til I got to #13, my derailleur isn't bent or loose. :p Oh well, I did put the chainguard back on my Windwood, although it was to balance the look of the fat down tube and had nothing to do with safety. :mrgreen:
Oh, how do you "adjust" a sprocket? :?

My chainguard is a rusty sickle blade... but it is there.
SANY0410Small.jpg
I adjust my sprocket by turning it forward one full revolution with my feet. I find that with continuous adjustment I tend to travel great distances. Also, faster adjustment speeds up the effect. :lol:

ozzmonaut said:
SANY0410Small.jpg
I adjust my sprocket by turning it forward one full revolution with my feet. I find that with continuous adjustment I tend to travel great distances. Also, faster adjustment speeds up the effect. :lol:
that looks sweet!! :p

ozzmonaut said:
SANY0410Small.jpg
I would love to see the expression on the chp's face riding up to the rodeo on this :lol:

except for lights and "warning device", i guess that's a horn, i'm good. i think i could pass it easy on my main rider.

I got a new J.C. Higgins Flightliner when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, which would have been in '62 or '63. I rode it to the local bank on a Saturday for one of those bike safety courses. The first thing the organizers did was put gobs of reflective tape all over your bike. I told them I didn't want the tape because my bike was brand new. They said I had to have it. I decided I didn't need their safety course or their reflective tape and rode home. Now, it's 50 yrs. later and I still don't need their nanny garbage. :!: Gary

Reflectors-------Them are the first to hit the trash
Seat height adjusted correctly-------If you lean back to much on the sissy bar it flips over"antitheft"
Headlight.--------What Headlight
Pedals------------SCRAAAAAAPE
Handlebars-----------well they take some getin used to
Wheels------------ok i build wheels so pass
Brakes-------------Not in the RAIN!!
Tires-------------theyre not bald -theyre homemade slicks
Warning device---------- ???????its not like its gona over heat!

Back