It begins!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a bunch of parts today off of craigslist for 75 bucks. Included was a murray monterey and a schwinn frame. Also some really cool rear rack "thingy's" and a set of ape hangers. Can't wait to figure out how to put all this stuff together, and I'm sure there will be many questions to follow.
P1260365.jpg

P1260348.jpg

P1260353-1.jpg

P1260355.jpg

P1260364.jpg

P1260352.jpg

P1260351.jpg

[/img]

Nice pile of fenders and wheels. Just start putting things together, switching parts out, and play. Figure out what looks good together, then go with it. At least that's how I like to do it.

P.S. Your avatar is on of my favorite thredless shirts.

That rack looks to be off a spaceliner.. Nice find man, HAVE FUN! U gots enough fenders for 10 bikes :lol:

Nice buy.You might want to check on those fenders,looks like you might have some pre-war monark and(or) higgins fenders in there.Look to be drilled for lacing skirt gaurds.Givin' ya a heads up,could end up getting you some more financing for your project.
-Kreep-

There's definitely some old looking fenders in that pile. I haven't had a chance to pull them all apart, but I was told that there were some old schwinns packed in there. The tricycle is way cool too. I found out it's a 1940's Colson built in Ohio. Hopefully I can sell some of this stuff and get some more parts. Looks like I need some different wheels that have coaster brakes rather than 10 speed clusters. I think my favorite parts from this haul are the racks.
P1260349.jpg

Wow!
Thats like a giant puzzle,it will make some awesome bikes..
I am spotting a coasterbrake in your pics,by the way.
Those starwheels are great too the rear one is asingle speed.

parts is parts

:shock: heck, the trikes worth 75 bucks... not that i would pay that much.. :mrgreen:

That Schwinn frame looks pretty clean--have you checked the S/N?
Great score, but don't deny it, you are an addict now! Welcome to the club!

I did check the serial # and it looks to be a 96 Schwinn super deluxe. There's still plastic over the head badge which has preserved it over the years. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to dismantle the 20 coaster brake and put it on a 26" wheel. I don't think I'm ready for lacing a wheel yet though, yet I don't want throw down 50 bucks for a rear wheel coaster. I'd be willing to trade some stuff if anyone has one.

And yes my denial left the building as soon as I filled my car up with all of this stuff. I figured if I'm going to be into this, I'm going to dive in head first. I'll start to put stuff together this Sunday, Can't wait!!!

So I ended up at my LBS to get some pedals which they didn't have. Before I knew it, I was leaving with a rear wheel w/ coaster brake in my hand. I asked about painting the rims and they guy told me that I should take the spokes off easing the tension a little at a time all the way around, until the rim is free. Then when I lace the hub back on it should go right back on. Is this sound advice?? He advised against taping.

Brewdude said:
guy told me that I should take the spokes off easing the tension a little at a time all the way around, until the rim is free. Then when I lace the hub back on it should go right back on. Is this sound advice??
Yes, you should ease the spokes gradually when unlacing a wheel to keep the rim from getting stressed and pulled in funny ways. It's not super-critical, however. To relace the hub you'll need to use your head, it won't "go right back on" automatically. See http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2887 for a lacing tutorial.

Hugo

Latest posts

Back