It begins!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude,

Search the older posts for a masking lesson. A few of the guys have done a great job of just masking off the spokes/nipples w/o screwing up the spoke tension and wound up with great looking rims.

Maybe one of them will ring in when they read your post.

62H

if your looking for perfection take the rim completely off, you can still do a nice job masking it though, the idea is that with the rim removed there will be no "edges" to the paint, no edges means its less likely to start peelin from normal use, i really dont see how this would be a serious concern unless this is gonna be a show bike er somethin, just my $.02

oh, and if your paintin on bare metal use an etching primer before paintin otherwise your paint may start peelin away.

Do the twenty inch rims have the same number of spokes as the 26 inch rims? If not, you will have big problems trying to get tehm to work together being your first time and all. You'd be better of going to the Salvation Army or Good Will and look for an old coaster bike that you can steal the wheels off.

theres tons of old post on how to mask off spoke million times easier then relacen up that new shoe....tin foil is an easy way to do it or straws worked great for me on mine .. granted its no show bike but the rims came out sweat ... plus if you dont like the out come when you ready to tear in to a wheel redo it!

happy rat'n!

I'm definitely thinking about masking the spokes. It sounds like too much work to take the wheel apart, and I'm too inexperienced at this stage of the game. If the paint peels, there's always the touch up paint route. I've actually got the bike all put together, just need pedals and its ready to ride. I don't want to post any pics until the whole thing is complete for the full before, during and after effect. The problem is that I'm only able to work on the bike one day a week since it's about 1 hr and 20 min away at my dad's house. I don't have space to work on it at home. It'll be a slow going prodject but hopefully in a couple months I'll have something for you guys to see. Thanks guys, for all the advise thus far.

Back