It's a Sledgehammer.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor dispatches dumpsters and one day I saw that somebody had tossed two 24" bikes. I pulled them out and took them down to my basement. One was a full suspension Mongoose that was pretty well trashed and the other was a Roadmaster. At first, I didn't know what to do with them and then I recieved my inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iUQqp- ... re=related

I decided that I needed to build a Sledgehammer for my daughters that will soon be outgrowing their 20" bikes. The only money that I put into the bike are a few bucks for paint and five bucks for new cables and housing.

I didn't get a before shot fresh from the dumpster, but this is close other than I had already pulled the rigid front fork off and replaced it with the shock from the full suspension bike. Since the front shocks had provisions for linear pull brakes, I had to modify the frame so that I could put them on the back of the bike too.

100_2451.jpg

I cut the brake posts mounts off of the full suspension bike and stripped the paint off of the frame where I was going to weld them on.

100_2456.jpg

The wooden paint stick wasn't stiff enough for proper alignment, so I made a jig and hose clamped it into place.

100_2459.jpg

I welded the brake post mounts on and the alignment was good enough for hootsfor. I got the linear pull style of brakes off of the full suspension bike.

100_2462.jpg

After a little work, I added some primer to finish it off.

100_2463.jpg

I stripped the bike down to paint the frame.

100_2465.jpg

After pulling all of the stickers off and sanding it down, it's ready for paint.

100_2467.jpg

I got the paint down, but I wasn't happy with the results. I ended up chemically stripping all of the paint off and then I blasted it with baking soda to remove everything down to the bare metal. I didn't get a picture of the naked frame, but I primed it again and the second paint job turned out better.

100_2468.jpg

My next door neighbor cut the graphics for me and I applied them to the frame.

100_2535.jpg

I painted the forks, handle bars, cranks, etc. I trued the wheels, installed all of the components, added new cables and housing and took it out for a test ride. I have pegs for it down in the basement, but I haven't painted them yet, so I left them off.

100_2574.jpg

It isn't a perfect match, but it was fund to build. I have picked up another one of these frames and I want to cut up the front end and really make some changes to the geometry.

vanilla_gorilla said:
are you gonna take it off any sweet jumps?

You know, there's, like, a buttload of jumps at the school. I could get, like, three feet of air anytime. Eventhough I'm pretty good with a bike, I'd rather not hurt my taint!

Back