It's a Spyder, man!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a swap meet a few weeks ago, I did a little horse trading, and ended up with a pile of parts that need to be assembled into a bike. Some of you may remember my first Rat; an old Sears Spyder I built as a pit bike 20 years ago:

spyder.jpg

Here's what I've got now:

spyder1h.jpg

No prizes for the first one to figure out which way this one's going (other than back to my childhood).

yoothgeye said:
Looks like a Stingray-ish type bike (aka: muscle bike).

No prize for you! But yeah, it's going to be an early 70'sish choppery bike. I had decided to get rid of the Skyways, and when my friend Chris showed up at the last swap, the first thing he unloaded was a 60's coaster brake wheel with an old 20x2.125 cheater slick on it.

I traded for that, and just kept grabbing appropriate parts out of his stash until it felt like we were even.

So, 16" front on a fork from a 26" bike, apes, banana seat, whiteline pedals, and early 70's BMX grips.

And, a quick and easy build because all the parts are designed to fit together, so I can have a completed bike to look back to when I'm working on the buildoff bike (where nothing will fit because the parts aren't supposed to go together).

loudboys said:
Be careful what you wish for; your house isn't too far out of the way the next time I want to go to Ocracoke for an oyster sandwich.

I am not far off of Interstate 95, I often wonder how many RRB.com members go right past my house going north or south for vacations and such all the time. Give me a ring, stop by, we'll chat, ride my bikes, etc...

Back