It's all coming together

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A buddy of mine is sending me this frame from Boston this weekend I hope.
IMG951488.jpg
He said it's a J.C. Higgins. So I had to break out some of the nice parts I have collected over the last couple months. I got these bars and stem
IMAG0414.jpg
This crank and sprocket.
IMAG0415.jpg
I'm thinking about maybe having the sprocket case hardened for the finish it makes but I'm going to look into it a bit more first. For wheels I'm going to use this nice set of dropcenters
IMAG0375.jpg
they have a Morrow coaster brake but no date code on it
IMAG0405.jpg
any clues? A nice Brooks seat for me to sit on too
IMAG0382.jpg
and my bikes always have to have a bottle opener on them so I'm gonna use this ugly guy here
IMAG0410.jpg
I can't wait to get it together and ride it!

That is one of my favorite frames. Murray built. Badged as a Murray, Higgins or Western Flyer. Same frame I used in my Higgins build from RRBBO7 and the same frame I am using on my jet tank build that I am working on right now. Tanks are somewhat easy to find for them.

Might use this sprocket I have been working on
IMAG0436.jpg
and a lightweight set of wheels instead
IMAG0408.jpg
but that will be if I can't get some skiptooth chain before the tenth, I want to ride this bike for the worst day of the year ride in Portland.

this is gonna be a sweet build here
and this ugly guy has a twin brother and hes bolted to my BBBQ pit..
IMAG0410.jpg

the bottle cap catches his bottm lip . so watch out you dont spill your beer!! I did the first time i used it :lol:

Thanks guys, the frame was shipped the other day and should be here around the 22nd and I hope in one piece. As for getting my sprocket color case hardened, I looked into it and it would be about 400 bucks so not going to happen unless I do it myself but that would be another project down the road all in its own. I think I'm going to use this fork on it as well without the fender
IMAG0354_zps17243cdd.jpg

Well I couldn't use the forks that I wanted to due to a lack of headset parts so I had to rip apart a womans bike I had for the headset and forks but ended up liking them better than the other forks, nice how things like that work out. I went with the lightweight wheels for now and I need to find a stem that fits the fork tube and doesn't look like garbage to me but here she is after a couple hours of building in the freezing shop
IMAG0459.jpg
Five LBS and not one of them had the headset part or a seatpost for it but one shop did show me a little trick with a inch and an eighth threadless headset that I didn't know about that will be getting used at a latter date.

jaysmo said:
that sprocket looks real good i like the fork too!!
Thank you, I'm really digging it too. I put a bobbed fender on the back as well as a rack I had sitting around today. The rack had broken struts on it and they would of been too short anyways so I found some stainless rod laying around and forged the ends of it flat and drilled some holes and bolted it up and I love how it looks now and I can also put a 12 pack on the back!
IMAG0462.jpg
as you can see I have a thing for upside down handlebars.

jaysmo said:
this is gonna be a sweet build here
and this ugly guy has a twin brother and hes bolted to my BBBQ pit..
IMAG0410.jpg

the bottle cap catches his bottm lip . so watch out you dont spill your beer!! I did the first time i used it :lol:

your 'ugly guy' looks like a Hipster! XD
hipster.jpg

RatSphinx said:
That guy ought to be ashamed of himself. I mean really, who would wear a tie like that? :lol: :lol:
hipster.jpg
[/quote]
Are those bottom bracket bearings in his ears? HAHAHA!

It wasn't to bad, just a little work with a die grinder. The hardest part was waiting for the air compresser to build enough pressure to get it to work good. Just about everyone on here has had one of these sprockets at one point or another I wanted mine to not be the same

Well after a ride to the post office to drop off a package to be shipped off to a fellow ratrod biker I noticed the bars slipped and I didn't want to crush them by tightening them more. I'm sure they would be fine with someone that didn't weigh 270 pounds cranking on them so I put on some old mountain bike bars on and I had the old coke box sitting around ( I have a portland brewing company box I might put on instead ) so I mounted it on the rack
IMAG0475.jpg
Soon its getting a skiptooth drive line and I might put a 180mm crank on it too.

Back